Sunday 7 July 2013

99 Flake Cakes & Lemon Curd Cupcakes...

Today I sold my cakey wares at a lovely local pub's Vintage & Handmade Suitcase Bazaar (imagine a car-boot style sale, out of suitcases instead of car boots!)...it's not often I actually sell my cakes - it is usually just a hobby that means I get to treat friends and family to home-baked treats, but it made a refreshing change to exchange my baking for some cash rather than gifting.

Because of the glorious sunshine this weekend I decided to bake some summery cupcakes for the sale, and I'm glad to say they went down really well, with just a few left over at the end of the sale for hubby and maybe a few lucky co-workers to sample.

So, my lovely blog-readers, if you fancy some summery baking, why not give these a try?

99 Flake Cakes

(makes 12)

cake batter:
110g self raising flour
110g caster sugar
110g butter
2 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract

icing:
110g butter
225g icing sugar
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Pieces of Cadbury's Flake to decorate

Method

Preheat oven to 190 (170 fan).

Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add a large spoon of flour and then slowly add the beaten eggs to the mixture, keep it moving all the time.

Mix in the remaining flour, and then add the vanilla extract. Mix the batter until throughly combined and smooth.

Spoon into a piping bag, and pipe into 12 paper cupcake cases.

Bake for 15-20 mins until well risen, golden and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.

Mix the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy, add milk and vanilla extract and mix until throughly combined.

Leave in the fridge until cakes are cool, then pipe onto each cake using a large star nozzle.

Add a piece of Cadbury's flake for that '99 ice cream' look.

Lemon Curd Cupcakes

(makes 12)

cake batter:
110g self raising flour
110g caster sugar
110g butter
2 large eggs
juice of half a lemon
rind of half a lemon
a dash of lemon flavouring

lemon curd for piping into centre of cakes

icing:
110g butter
225g icing sugar
1 tbsp milk
juice of half a lemon
a dash of lemon flavouring
2 tbsps lemon curd
yellow food colouring gel

Method

Preheat oven to 190 (170 fan).

Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add a large spoon of flour and then slowly add the beaten eggs to the mixture, keep it moving all the time.

Mix in the remaining flour, and then add the lemon juice, rind and flavouring. Mix the batter until throughly combined and smooth.

Spoon into a piping bag, and pipe a small amount of cake batter into the bottom of 12 paper cupcake cases.

Next pop your lemon curd into a piping bag and pipe a lovely big splodge of lemon curd on top of the cake batter, this will give your cakes a gooey lemon curd centre.

Next, pipe the remaining cake batter on top of the lemon curd to almost fill your cases (leaving about a 1cm of paper showing).

Bake for 15-20 mins until well risen, golden and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.

Mix the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy, add the milk, lemon juice, lemon flavouring, lemon curd and food colouring, and then mix until throughly combined.

Leave in the fridge until cakes are cool, then pipe onto each cake using a piping bag with whichever nozzle you prefer.

I added some pretty rice-paper butterflies to my cakes to give them a lovely summery feel and pretty them up!

Happy Baking my lovelies

Mrs B

xxxx