Monday 23 April 2018

Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Review

Yesterday, Bert and I headed to Nottingham's Motorpoint Arena to see Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment, featuring characters from Toy Story, The Little Mermaid, Cars and Frozen, including Minnie Mouse, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy.

To say we were both excited was an understatement. I haven't been to an ice show since I was a little girl (my nan took me a few times as she adored watching ice skating), and Bert had never been before, so we were newbies to the Disney on Ice world, and couldn't wait to see it.

Primark Breton Stripe Disney Stitch T-shirt
All ready for Disney on Ice, wearing my Primark Breton Stripe Disney Stitch T-shirt
It turned into a little 'date day' for Bert and I, which was just lovely - we don't often get time just the two of us, since his little sister Connie was born in 2016 she is (obviously) usually always with us. It felt really special to get some 1:1 time with my (very grown up) almost 5 year old Bert (17 weeks until he turns 5, he's counting down!). We got the train together from our hometown Bedford, which took around an hour and twenty minutes - we enjoyed snacks, a bit of Kindle time, and we read the whole of 'The Magic Finger' by Roald Dahl (we are working our way through the whole RD collection!).

I took Bert for a McDonald's lunch before the show and then we headed over to the arena to take our seats. As an extra special treat I let Bert choose something from the official merchandise shop inside the arena, he chose an Anna from Frozen figure, which cost £12. It's a really lovely large figure, which I know he'll play with loads, so I was happy with his choice!

When we got into the arena we were THRILLED with our seats - we had such an amazing view of the ice rink/stage and Bert was positively bursting with excitement.

Amazing view of the stage at Disney on Ice Nottingham
Amazing view of the stage at Nottingham Motorpoint Arena
As predicted, we absolutely adored the show! It had everything you could want - all the main characters, all the most memorable songs - and most of all some absolutely spectacular ice dancing!

The characters we saw in Worlds of Enchantment show included...

Toy Story: Woody, Buzz, Jessie, Bullseye, Ham, Rex, The Potato Heads, Slinky, Barbie, Ken, Andy, The Green Soldiers, Lotso Bear, Stretch.

The Little Mermaid: Ariel, Sebastian, Flounder, Ursula, Flotsam & Jetsam, Prince Eric.

Cars: Lightening McQueen, Mater, Flo, Sally Carrera & Ramone.

Frozen: Elsa, Anna, Prince Hans, Kristoff, Olaf.

As well as Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck & Goofy.

I only snapped a few pictures on my iPhone as I didn't want to take my big DSLR camera because Motorpoint Nottingham operates a small/one bag policy and I wouldn't have been able to fit it in. So please do excuse the quality of the following images, but they should give you a little taster of what to expect from the show...
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Minnie and Mickey
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Minnie and Mickey
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Toy Story
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Toy Story
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Toy Story
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Toy Story
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - The Little Mermaid
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - The Little Mermaid
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Cars
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Cars
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Cars
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Cars
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Frozen
Disney on Ice: Worlds of Enchantment - Frozen
The first half of the show runs for one hour, followed by a 15 minute interval and then a 45 minute second half. It was the perfect length of time for Bert, and the break in the middle allowed us enough time to comfortably visit the toilet and get some refreshments before the second half started.

The show is introduced by Minnie, Mickey, Donald Duck and Goofy, who act as compares and take you on a magical journey through different worlds of enchantment (hence the name). Each of the four main films is presented in a watered-down storyline version, that gives the gist of the story along with the highlights in terms of songs/characters. Toy Story is first, followed by The Little Mermaid - then the interval, and the second half is Cars followed by Frozen.

Okay, so I know I'm biased - but oh this boy!! What a cutie pie he is - thankfully his impeccable behaviour all day really did match his angelic exterior. He hugged Anna from the moment he got her on arrival until he fell asleep holding her last night. He's also taken her to school today for 'show & tell'. Adorable.

Bert at Disney on Ice with his beloved Anna figure
Bert at Disney on Ice with his beloved Anna figure
As well as the songs, dance routines and amazing lights, the show included some awesome (and recognisable) sets from the films, and some fun stunts such as pyrotechnic sparks/flashes, real bubbles and snow - Woody even flies across the stage attached to a kite!

The show is well-suited to a mixed age-range audience - you are encouraged to sing along, dance along and so you don't have to worry about your little ones being perfectly still and silent throughout the performance as you would at the theatre. Personally, I'd say I'd happily take anyone 3+ and they would be able to access the whole show happily.

Bert sat and watched the whole show entranced, every time a new character came on stage he squealed with delight! It was a marvel to watch how happy it made him. And honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed it too! If you're a Disney fan then you can't not love it. Bert and I sang along to all the classics, and when it ended Bert said to me

"I want it to start all over again!"

When I asked him on the walk back to the railway station which part was his favourite he said...

"All of it!"

High praise indeed.

Ticket prices range from about £25 - £48, plus family package tickets are now available for selected shows.

Disney On Ice presents Worlds of Enchantment will be skating into Cardiff and then Aberdeen from the 25th April until 6th May.

For the complete list of tour dates, head to www.disneyonice.co.uk

Stay current on the latest developments through social media by visiting:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/DisneyOnIceUK
Twitter: @DisneyOnIce #WorldsOfEnchantment
YouTube: www.youtube.com/DisneyOnIce
Instagram: @DisneyOnIce

We were given complimentary tickets to Disney on Ice in return for this post. All view are our own.