Monday 5 August 2013

More Homemade Wooden Bunting...

You might remember a few weeks ago that I made some outdoor wooden bunting to decorate my garden.

I was so pleased with the outcome of this bunting and the way in which it is weathering so well (no sign of wear & tear in the really heavy rain & extreme heat we've been receiving) that I decided I would make some more with some different wooden shapes and Cuprinol paint colours.

This time, I made the bunting for some good friends as birthday gifts - which is all part of my '27 things to do in the year I turn 27' challenge ... Challenge Number 23 for the year is:

"23. Hand make/ hand bake gifts – This year’s goal is to try and hand make or hand bake at least one aspect of every gift I give."

Fairy Princess Castle Bunting...

This string was made for my best friend/surrogate sister's beautiful 6 year old daughter for her birthday - she loves bunting, and is gorgeous and girlie - as soon as I saw these fairy castle wooden flags on eBay I just had to have them!

10 x MDF Fairy castles with string = £6.00 eBay
3 x Cuprinol colour test pots = £3.00

total = £9.00

I chose a 3 colour palate:

Beach Blue / Sweet Sundae / Summer Damson

painting the wooden flags in the garden

the string of princess castle flags

close up

T'ah D'ah!

the finished bunting dry & ready to be packaged up & sent off to its recipient!

Hearts & Castle Bunting...

Using the same colour palate and a similar idea I decided to make a string of bunting for my friend Hannah's 21st Birthday - she lives at home with her parents and I wanted to make her something she could string up in her room (above her bed or at her window etc) but that could then be used elsewhere in her own home or garden when the time comes for her to leave home. I wanted it to be girlie & pretty, something she'd want to keep for a long time.

In the end I chose wooden hearts which I painted Sweet Sundae pink with one of the fairy castles in Beach Blue at the centre. Girlie but not too childish.

10 x wooden MDF hearts = £5.00
3 x Cuprinol colour tester pots = £3.00
Twine = £2

total = £10

hearts with the castle

just the right length to hang above a bed or across a window

closer

extreme close up - fairy castle

Both these strings of bunting would be suitable for use both indoors and out, as I said, my outdoor bunting is weathering really well and I hope will continue to do so come rain or shine!

Why not have a go yourself? This fun and easy craft is very rewarding and is the perfect addition to any home or garden.

Bye for now