Friday 18 October 2013

Chorizo and Red Pepper Spelt Flour Pizza (wheat free)

I have another recipe to share with you today - a yummy homemade pizza using spelt flour, an ingredient I hadn't used before.

Spelt is a cereal grain in the wheat family, it contains less calories than wheat flour and is higher in protein. Great for anyone with a wheat intolerance.

This pizza is really fun to make, full of fresh ingredients, and is lower in calories and fat than a typical takeaway pizza. It's the perfect dinner for two very hungry adults, or for 3 adults with a nice salad accompaniment. Obviously you can mix and match toppings, be creative! This is my favourite topping combination...

For the base:

200g spelt flour
135ml warm water
5g dried yeast
40ml olive oil
20ml skimmed milk
pinch of salt

For the spicy sauce:

tin tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
handful of fresh basil leaves
sprinkle of dried chilli flakes
1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika

For the toppings:

150g half fat cheddar cheese
90g spanish chorizo sausage
1/2 red bell pepper

Method:

1. Pre heat oven to 200. Mix the warm water with dried yeast and stir. Add to the other dough ingredients and mix for 15 minutes with a dough hook on your food mixer (or by hand if you don't have a mixer) until stretchy and pliable.

2. Oil a bowl, place in the dough, cover in cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for one hour.

3. While the dough is rising add your sauce ingredients into a food processor and blitz. Place in a pan and reduce on the hob until thick and sticky, perfect for spreading on the pizza base.

spicy tomato sauce

4. Chop your pizza toppings ready to place on your base.

5. After the dough has risen roll it out to a 25cm size disc, place on an oiled baking sheet and cover in cling film, leave for a further 25 mins to rise.

6. Once risen cover the base in the spicy tomato sauce, leaving a 2cm crust around the edge. Sprinkle on grated cheese, and then add your toppings.

7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.

I served 1/3rd of the pizza with a scrummy tomato, avocado and mozarella salad with olives, basil and balsamic vinegar! Yum!

686 calories per 1/3 of the pizza - a lovely Friday night treat!

Obviously you could lower the calories by using different toppings such as:

-ham and pineapple
-mixed veg
-tuna and sweetcorn
-chicken and pepper
-sausage, onion and tomato
-chicken, pesto and olives

The pizza tasted so scrummy; the base has a wholemeal bread taste, a nice crust and a soft doughy bottom. I really recommend this recipe and it would be perfect to make with kids.

Enjoy guys!

Love