Tuesday 10 December 2013

Bread "Breakfast" Dinner Pasties!

Today I have a yummy recipe for you - very versatile - made in advance they would be a great weekend breakfast treat, perfect for a picnic, or simply served with chips for a delicious dinner.

The idea for this recipe stemmed from a Hairy Bikers recipe for making a pasty using bread dough for the casing instead of pastry for a much lower fat/calorie option. I have been playing around with this idea ever since, and this version is by far my favourite.

I have basically taken all the best elements of an English breakfast and wrapped it up in a bread roll :-)

ENGLISH BREAKFAST BREAD PASTY
(makes 6)

ingredients:

500g white bread mix
320ml warm water
8 rashers of smoked back bacon
4 good sausages
1 onion
100g chopped mushrooms
200g baked beans (1/2 a tin)
4 eggs
salt and pepper to season
milk to brush the tops before baking

method:

1. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees. Mix up the bread mix as per instructions on the packet, or make up a plain white bread dough from scratch. Leave to prove in a warm place for 40 mins-1 hour.

2. While bread is proving chop up your onion, sausages, bacon, and mushrooms into small bite size pieces. Fry in some olive oil until everything is just cooked through.

3. Whisk your eggs, season and then scramble in the frying pan with your other ingredients.

4. Leave the scramble mix to cool.

5. Once cooled mix through your baked beans, taste, and add extra seasoning if necessary.

6. Divide your dough into 6 equal amounts, and roll each one into a circle around 1cm thick.

7. Divide your scramble mixture into 6, and spoon an equal amount in the centre of each dough circle.

8. Fold the dough over the mix until it is completely encased. Turn the dough parcel over so that the seal is on the bottom, and place on an oiled baking tray.

9. Space the parcels out on the tray (as they will expand) and brush with a little milk.

10. Bake at 200 degrees for around 25 minutes until golden and hollow sounding when you knock the bottom.

Serve hot or cold.

approx 445 calories per pasty

freshly out of the oven - looks just like a bread roll - bite into it to get a breakfasty surprise!

we served ours with chips and beans (got to love a bit of nursery food!)

yummy roll with a full English filling!

Hubby had one cold today for his lunch and said it was really scrummy. I will definitely be making these again, they're fun and full of flavours that work so well together.

I reckon these would be a great hangover cure as well!

Just in case any of you are planning a few drinks over the festive period...