Saturday 29 August 2015

Carrot and Walnut Muffins from Whitworths #whitworthsbakingchallenge

Today I'm sharing another super-easy bake which is sure to please even the fussiest of muffin-eaters. As part of my collaboration with the fabulous Whitworths for the #whitworthsbakingchallenge I had a go at making these bad boys last week for a family party and I'm pleased to say they were very well received. My husband and father in law were particularly singing their praises - and with carrot cake at number one on my own 'favourite cakes' list, I was quite fond of these little beauties myself.

Using up old vegetables that are passed their best and reinventing them in cake form is really pleasing for someone like me who hates food waste. I also love that if you have a fairly well-stocked baking pantry then you should be able to rustle these up without so much as a trip to the supermarket!

Using a gorgeous mix of grated carrot, walnut pieces, sultanas, cinnamon, mixed spice, dark soft brown sugar and all your muffin-based essential ingredients (flour, eggs, oil, butter) these spicy little muffins are finally topped with an orange cream cheese frosting and decorated with walnut pieces.

They are a great afternoon tea treat, make the perfect party or picnic food - and they're at least one of your five a day with all that carrot and sultana...hehe!

Ingredients

For the muffins:
100g Whitworths Walnut Pieces
1 medium orange, finely grated zest & juice
2 medium eggs
175g dark soft brown sugar
125ml sunflower oil
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
150g carrots, finely grated
100g sultanas

For the frosting:
250g full fat soft cream cheese
100g unsalted butter
75g icing sugar

Method

- Preheat your oven to 180℃/Fan 160℃/Gas mark 4 then line a 12 cup muffin tin with cases.
- Roughly chop the walnut pieces then set aside for baking and decorating.
- Beat the eggs, brown sugar and oil together in a bowl then add 4 tablespoons of the freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and spices into the bowl, then fold until evenly combined.
- Stir in the carrot, sultanas and 85g of the walnut pieces (leaving 15g to decorate).
- Spoon the mixture between the cases then bake in the centre of the oven for around 30 minutes. Leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile beat the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and zest of orange together until thick, smooth and uber-creamy. Using the back of a teaspoon, or a piping bag if you're feeling fancy, swirl the frosting onto the top of each cooled muffin and then sprinkle with remaining walnut pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!

Keep an eye out for two more fabulous Whitworths recipes which will be featured on the blog in September!

Happy Baking!