Saturday 25 July 2020

Seaside Doughnuts Recipe (No Yeast)

Well hello there! It's been a while...

Since my last post the world seems to have imploded - cue the arrival of Coronavirus (Covid-19) and the utter joy (sarcastic!) of a 17 week lockdown, no school for the kids and all the chaos that has ensued...!

Anyhow, today is not a post about all that, but a simple and very delicious recipe for you. Not for the faint of heart, this is a hearty treat recipe - but super quick and not too difficult to achieve at all.

When you can't go to the seaside, bring the seaside to you!

seaside doughnuts recipe (no yeast)

These "Seaside Doughnuts" take around 20 minutes all in to make and shallow fry - no waiting for dough to rise etc. Speedy and satisfying. They taste very much like the hot doughnuts you might get in a paper bag on the end of a pier, or at a fairground - but better!

Choose from plain sugar coating, cinnamon sugar, or a honey or maple syrup glaze - all works perfectly.

So, without further ado here is the recipe, and a downloadable/printable PDF version too!

"SEASIDE DOUGHNUTS"

Ingredients

Makes 11-15 doughnuts

Vegetable oil for frying.

Dough:

1 egg

50ml vegetable oil

175ml milk

1 tbsp granulated sugar

1/2 tsp salt

15g baking powder

410g plain flour

Toppings/Glazes:

granulated sugar

ground cinnamon

5 tbsps honey

2 tbsps water

5 tbsps maple syrup

2 tbsps water

Method:

Make the dough: Add your beaten egg, vegetable oil, milk, sugar and salt to a large bowl and mix until combined.

Add in your baking powder, followed by half of your flour (205g), mix until combined to form a sticky/wet dough, then add the other half of your flour.

Combine and begin to knead lightly, add a little more flour in if too sticky.

Roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness, and then cut out using a doughnut cutter, or a round cutter and a bottle lid to make the centre hole. Re roll off cuts and keep going until you've used all your dough. (I made 11 doughnuts from this but you could get around 15 depending on the size cutter you use.)

Prepare your toppings: Mix granulated sugar and ground cinnamon on a plate ready to dip the hot doughnuts in.

Prepare the glazes: Mix the honey and water, or maple syrup and water in a bowl.

Prepare for frying: Pour about 2-3 inches deep of oil into a deep frying pan or wok. Heat for around 4 minutes, test the oil's temperature by popping a small piece of dough into the pan (keep back one of your doughnut holes to use). The dough should turn golden brown within 2 minutes, then flip to cook the other side.

Fry the doughuts: Now you can fry your doughnuts! They should take 2 minutes a side - be very careful - the oil is SO hot. I suggest using tongs to turn the doughnuts, and have a wire wrack over a baking tray ready to pop them on once they've cooked. I cooked two at a time until I was more confident, then 4 at a time. 2 minutes per side should be enough, but you can go up to 3 mins per side max. Once cooked on both sides, remove from the oil and pop straight onto a plate of cinnamon sugar, or into the glaze. Fully coat both sides, and then pop onto your serving plate, leave for 2 minutes but definitely eat while still warm!

Do let me know if you give these a go! Tag me @lucybishop2012 in your pictures and stories so I can see how you've gotten on!

ENJOY MY LOVES!

Why not ^^ Pin This ^^ for later

Or download the PDF recipe by clicking here