Sunday 26 February 2017

Ceramic Onyx Kitchen Knives from Edge of Belgravia *REVIEW*

Ceramic Onyx Knife Collection from Edge of Belgravia

You might remember that back in July 2016 I reviewed the brilliant Black Diamond Knife Block and Precision Chef Knife Series from high end Kitchen brand Edge of Belgravia.

It's now seven months on and I'm still absolutely loving my knife block and original four knives. The Black Diamond Knife Block has space for up to eleven knives though, so my initial four were looking a tiny bit sparse, so I was thrilled when this lovely brand sent me their 5 piece Ceramic Onyx Knife collection (priced at £299.90) to help fill up my block!

Black Diamond Knife Block

The Black Diamond Knife block was created by London designer, Christian Bird - his design brings an avant-garde facelift to your kitchen. It is more than just a knife block; it is a piece of art for the kitchen. I've lost count of the comments I've had on my knives since I got them, and I'm so excited to have almost filled it now!
Ceramic Onyx Knife Collection from Edge of Belgravia

The set comprises of five spectacular knives, which are not only beautiful to look at, but also extremely well designed and ridiculously sharp - perfect for someone who spends so much time in the kitchen, like me!

Edge of Belgravia Knives in Black Diamond Knife Block
The Black Diamond Knife Block from Edge of Belgravia

chefs knife ceramic onyx

CHEF'S KNIFE

£69.90
HOLLOW GRIND
6” | 15CM

Whether chopping, dicing, mincing or slicing, the versatile Chef’s Knife is a cutting edge tool for every kitchen. Durable, adaptable and ergonomically designed, this multi faceted knife is the key to superb creativity in the kitchen.
slicer knife ceramic onyx

SLICER

£59.90
HOLLOW GRIND
6” | 15CM
The Ceramic Slicer is engineered for slicing roasted meat and cutting fish, its 6-inch narrow blade renders it an avant-garde carving knife, seamlessly slicing accurate cuts across roasted joints of savoury beef and fish filet.

santoku ceramic onyx

SANTOKU

£49.90
HOLLOW GRIND
5” | 12.5CM
The Ceramic Santoku comprises a santoku style blade famous for its "three virtues": slicing, dicing and mincing. The Santoku has been expertly engineered for slicing and chopping vegetables such as crisp courgettes, delicious cherry tomatoes, and is also highly suited for preparing sushi.
Utility knife ceramic onyx

UTILITY KNIFE

£49.90
HOLLOW GRIND
4” | 10CM
The Utility Knife is lightweight in design and ideal for food items that are too large for a paring knife and too small for a chef’s knife, such as pungent peppers, juicy apples or crisp squash.
Paring knife ceramic onyx

PARING KNIFE

£34.90
HOLLOW GRIND
4” | 10CM
The Paring Knife provides increased manageability for great precision. Featuring a straight 4-inch narrow blade, tapering to a pointed tip, it peels, minces, cores and cuts small food items and ingredients with splendid ease, whether shallots, ripe lemon or small fruit.
Edge of Belgravia Knives
Uber modern and sleek knife block

I love the range of knives in this set - it's a really good all-rounder set to cover all bases in the kitchen. I find the knives so easy to hold, they aren't as heavy as other kitchen knives and they look really modern and stylish inside the diamond knife block - an added bonus for sure. They truly make a beautiful addition to my kitchen, and I've already had compliments on them from visitors.
I've been putting the knives through their paces over the past week - and so far I am not disappointed! I feel sure they will last me for years and years as promised by Edge of Belgravia.
If you're looking for new stylish, reliable and long lasting knives for your kitchen then these are definitely worth the money.
I was sent the Ceramic Onyx Kitchen Knives set from Edge of Belgravia in exchange for this honest review.

Lotus Biscoff Banana Bread Recipe

Mrs Bishop's Lotus Biscoff Banana Bread

Last Friday (24th February) showed up in my social media timeline as #NationalBananaBreadDay (it's an American food calendar date)...I didn't need much more of a reason to get my bake on than that - so I decided to experiment with a new version of my beloved Banana Bread recipe.

One of the things I love most about baking it that once you have a base recipe that you know works, you can have fun adding and taking away flavours to get interesting variations on a theme.

This time, I decided to use up the end of a jar of my beloved Lotus Biscoff Cookie Spread (smooth not crunchy) - it's a firm favourite in the Bishop house, Bert calls it "biscuit jam" (CUTE!) and Liam and I have loved it since I first discovered it on the shelves of Waitrose back in November 2012.

If you haven't tried it yet a) where have you BEEN? and b) YOU MUST. It is basically an alternative to chocolate spread or peanut butter, it comes in smooth or crunchy, and is a smooth, unctuous, super sweet spread made from ground up Caramelised Lotus Biscuits (you know those little individually wrapped biscuits you get on the side of your latte in coffee shops?) It is the crack cocaine of toast toppings!

So today, I happily bring you a wonderful variation on plain banana bread - a deliciously caramel-y banana loaf with a sugary crust! Mmmmm.

Lotus Biscoff Banana Bread
(serves 8)

INGREDIENTS

110g Salted Butter, room temperature
190g Caster Sugar
2 Eggs, beaten
240g Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
2 medium-large Bananas, mashed
100g Lotus Biscoff Spread
25g Dark Brown Soft Sugar

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.

2. Grease a loaf tin with butter or use a loaf tin paper liner.

3. Cream the sugar and the butter together until light and pale. (I use a Kitchen Aid, but you could use a wooden spoon or an electric hand whisk, either would work well too).

4. Add in one of your beaten eggs and a little of the flour  (to prevent curdling) and mix through, repeat this with the other egg and the rest of flour. Next add the baking soda and mix until everything is combined and smooth.

5. Peel the bananas and mash them with the back of a fork.

6. Add 100g Lotus Biscoff Spread and the Vanilla Extract to the mashed bananas and mix through. Add this to the butter/sugar/flour mix, and combine.

7. Pour the mix into your greased loaf tin and sprinkle 25g of dark brown soft sugar over the top of your loaf (this will create an amazing crust!) Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 60 minutes.

8. You can cover it with baking foil after 30 minutes to stop it getting too brown on top if you need too. Mine was absolutely fine though.

9. Insert a metal skewer into the centre of the loaf and if it comes out clean the banana bread is ready. If it comes out wet pop it back in for another 3 minutes and test again, keep doing this until the skewer comes out clean.

10. Remove from the loaf tin and place on a wire rack to cool slightly.

My favourite way to enjoy this cake is still slightly warm with a huge mug of tea or coffee, for extra crazy decadence smother your slice in a thin layer of Smooth Lotus Biscoff Spread (naughty, but oh so nice).

Each very generous slice comes in at 433 calories.

Mrs Bishop's Lotus Biscoff Banana Bread

You could also bake this as a round sandwich cake rather than a loaf cake...

Separate the mix into two round cake pans, and bake for around 25-30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.

Then sandwich them together using Lotus Biscoff spread, or add Lotus Biscoff to flavour a standard buttercream, and use that for a sturdier filling.

You could top your cake with another layer of biscuit spread/buttercream and push whole Biscoff biscuits or crumble the biscuits all over the top for an uber-decadent Lotus Biscoff cake creation!

Mrs Bishop's Lotus Biscoff Banana Bread
Why not ^^ Pin This ^^ for later

Saturday 25 February 2017

Perfect Fluffy Pancake Recipe

    THE BEST PANCAKES IN THE WORLD, EVER!

    These bad boys are totally fool proof and will leave you with better than shop bought, uber-thick, fluffy pancakes that dreams are made of...

Why not ^ Pin This ^ for later

YOU WILL NEED:

  • 6 Eggs
  • 230g Plain Flour
  • 2 tsps Baking Powder
  • 280ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
  • 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2 pinches Salt
  • Knob of butter or spray oil to cook

  • METHOD:
1. Separate the egg whites from the yolks and place in two separate bowls.

2. Whisk egg whites with salt until it has formed stiff peaks (I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer to save time).

3. In the other bowl, add sifted flour to the egg yolks, followed by baking powder, milk and vanilla extract. Beat together until mixed well.

4. Fold the egg white mixture into the bowl, being careful not to knock out too much air so it stays fluffy and light. A metal spoon is best for this.

5. Using a ladle, spoon the mixture into a non-stick frying pan on a medium to low heat. If you have a good non-stick pan you won't need to use butter or oil. If you're worried a tiny knob of butter or spray oil will work well to stop any sticking.

6. After a couple of minutes you'll notice little bubbles popping to the surface of the pancake - that means it's time to flip the pancake. Use a plastic spatula to loosen the pancake underneath from the pan before flipping it over. The pancakes should be an even golden colour. I normally keep them warm on a plate in a low oven until I've cooked them all, and then serve them in giant stacks with plenty of topping options!

Each pancake comes in at 129 calories and you should make 10 with this quantity of ingredients.

The best pancakes you'll ever make.

Fluffy pancakes with creme fraiche, strawberries and honey

My favourite toppings include...
  • Sweetened creme fraiche (add icing sugar and the seeds from a vanilla pod to taste) and fresh strawberries with honey drizzle
  • Nutella and chopped banana
  • Freshly squeezed lemon juice with granulated sugar
  • Maple syrup and streaky bacon
  • Lotus Biscoff Spread and banana with a sprinkle of chocolate chips
  • Greek yoghurt and a selection of fresh berries with a honey drizzle

Have a go this #PancakeDay and be sure to share your #FluffyPancake pictures with the world!

If you use this recipe I'd love to see your results!

Chalkola Markers Review & Giveaway

This half term Bert and I have had LOADS of fun using the brilliant Chalkola Chalk Markers. We were sent a pack of their 15 chalk markers (plus 6 metallic markers) and a pack of their premium series 15mm Jumbo Tip makers to put through their paces and have some fun with!

Chalkola Chalk Markers
The Markers are to be used on Non Porous Surfaces only like - Chalkboards, Whiteboards, Glass, Mirrors, LED boards, Plastic, Windows.

And best of all they wipe away with wet cloth or window cleaner...amazing!

The markers are child safe, water based, non toxic, low odour, acid free, xylene free, quick dry, long lasting and best of all...they wash off from clothing! Making them a brilliant option for keeping the kids entertained with minimum mess or fuss. Always a win in my book.

These chalk markers have high density Chalk Ink, due to which new markers take 1 to 3 mins prep time (pressing the tip to and fro multiple times to quickly get the ink flowing) once used the ink flows smoothly. We have found them so easy to use, and have genuinely had hours of fun creating bright and bold designs to decorate our windows.

We used them primarily on the patio doors of our kitchen/diner as they are floor-ceiling windows meaning they're perfectly accessible for Bert - he was able to create and mark make to his hearts content. It was a really great way to get him interested in making marks, as it is something he's never been that fussed by - he even drew a brilliant smiley face...
Bert's smiley face using Chalkola markers
Bert's smiley face!

Bert's smiley face using Chalkola markers
My little dude showing off his smiley face!

Bert's smiley face using Chalkola markers
"Look what I've drawn Mummy!"
As well as Bert having fun with the markers, I've been channeling my inner-Artist too and have had a brilliant time decorating the windows around our home with drawings, motivational quotes, and even pictures of Bert's favourite TV characters.
biscuit quote using chalk pens
My mantra!

Ninja turtle drawing using chalk markers
Bert's request - he is a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fanatic!
Beauty and the Beast rose using dry erase markers on window
Can you tell I'm excited about the new film release next month?
Unicorn on window using chalk pens
The uber-trendy Unicorn had to feature, naturally!

Be Bold typography on window using chalk markers
BE BOLD peeps!
As well as developing our artistic skills we also used the chalk pens to be a bit silly...we drew beards, moustaches, a monocle and even turned Liam into Harry Potter using the pens. It was a fun way to play dressing up without using masks or costumes.

Connie's chalk marker beard
Connie wasn't keen on playing! Haha!

Liam as Harry Potter using Chalkola window markers
Daddy Potter! Hehehe!

funny faces using chalk markers on windows
Daddy with a beard, moustache & monocle!
I was so pleasantly surprised by how vibrant the chalkboard pens are on glass - the marks they make are as bold as using felt tips or markers on paper - they are so effective and bright. I'm chuffed to have these in my "things to do on a rainy day" ammunition box - and I'm pretty sure I'll while away a few more hours using them for my own pleasure too!

As promised these dry erase markers all wiped off easily with a slightly damp cloth - we've used them so much my windows have never been so clean! Ha!

Discount for my readers...

If you'd like to have a play with some Chalkola markers then you can receive a 15% flat discount on all Chalkola products by using the following code:

15OFFSTR

21 Markers are priced currently at £16.90 on Amazon*
15mm Markers are priced currently at £14.90 on Amazon*

(*prices correct as of Feb 2017)

WIN a pack of 21 Chalkola Markers...

Chalkola Markers Giveaway

For more information on Chalkola products follow their social media channels:

PINTEREST: https://www.pinterest.com/chalkola0444/

We were given a pack of 21 markers and 8 jumbo markers in exchange for this honest review.

SuperLucky Blog Giveaway Linky

What was in our February Degustabox?

It's that time of the month again, a chance to peek inside our Degustabox! As usual I'll be sharing all of this month's box contents as well as which items we'd recommend you to try at home.

Lets get started...

February Degustabox contents
February's contents!

This month's contents:

- Willy Chase's FITCORN Salted Honey £1.99 - £2.19: FITCORN Popcorn by Willy Chase, produced and supplied fresh from our farm in Herefordshire. Grown-up flavours with real pedigree. Free from GM, free from gluten, free from guilt.

-New York Delhi's Americanos £1.00: Our delicious Americanos are top quality Guatemalan coffee beans, roasted and ready to eat and covered in delicious dark chocolate. They have a taste that is incredible, rich and intense. A wonderful pick-me-up both in the office and at the gym.

-Kabuto Noodles £1.99: Our vegetable laksa is inspired by the warm coconut dishes of Malaysia. It's completely gluten free, suitable for vegetarians and bursting with sweetcorn and peppers. Like all of our noodles, it's made using a delicious combination of authentic Asian flavours and quality ingredients with no additives or preservatives.

-Double Dutch Pomegranate & Basil mixer £1.25: A perfectly balanced premium mixer to pair with premium spirits or to savour on its own.

-Koko £1.50: Koko Dairy Free Original is a fresh tasting and versatile milk alternative made from freshly pressed coconut milk. It tastes great in tea or coffee, on breakfast cereals, in smoothies, as a refreshing, cold drink, or in cooking. Plus with only 27 calories per 100ml it's lighter than skimmed milk!

-Just Bee Honey Water - Pomegranate £1.70: Spring water enriched with a single drop of honey. No refined sugar & Less than 50 calories per carton.

-Heinz No Added Sugar Beanz 2 x £0.65: Great Heinz taste with no artificial sweeteners, flavours or preservatives maintaining the natural goodness of Beanz!

-Coldpress Juice - Berry & Beet £2.79: Because Coldpress juices are cold pressed, not heated, they naturally cram in more taste, more vitamins and more nutrients than most conventional pasteurised juices. Coldpress 100% fruit and vegetable juices are packed with vitamins and lower in naturally occurring sugars.

-No Added Sugar Diablo Chocolate Coated Wafer £0.95: Everyone should be allowed to treat themselves once in a while, don't you think? Diablo goodies have all the flavour without any of the naughty added sugar, so there's no need to feel so bad about the devil on your shoulder with a sweet tooth.

-Willy's Apple Cider Vinegar: Willy's Apple Cider Vinegar with The Mother - beautifully crafted from our untouched 300 year-old apple orchards. Your new favourite daily supplement! The full size 500ml bottle of Willy's ACV can be purchased for £6.95.

-Peppersmith Dental Gum & Mints £1.50 each: Protect your smile in between brushing with Peppersmith. Sweetened with 100% xylitol, our mints and gum keep your mouth fresh and healthy all day long, with no sugar or aspartame.

-Maui and Son's Banana Chips £1.00: made from one of the most delicious tropical fruits and cooked in coconut oil to perfection. Then we coat them lightly with Belgian dark chocolate giving every chip a satisfying crunch and making them a deliciously healthier gluten-free snack.

-Bebeto Sweets £1.69 each: Cheesecake Gummies and Candy Crush Gummy Mix, delicious value bags. Fun to share with friends.

-Blossom Hill Fruit Bloom - Summer Fruits Wine £4.99: A fresh and fruity twist on wine! With light bubbles and natural fruit flavours, Blossom Hill Fruit Bloom is the ultimate refreshment. Best served with close friends and sizzling conversation!

Contents of the February Degustabox
A box full of loot!

As usual we were thrilled with the contents of our Degustabox - it was packed full of interesting new products to try!

Bert's top pick was of course the two giant bags of gummy sweets (his favourite type of sweet!) he's still working his way through the sweet bowl (I think Daddy is helping too!) He even recognised the Candy Crush sweets - as his Nanny plays the game on her tablet.

Candy Crush Gummy Mix & Bebeto Cheese Cake Gummies
Bert's sweet bowl of dreams! Gummy heaven!

His other top pick was the FITCORN - he is totally popcorn mad, it's his favourite snack - so he has enjoyed devouring this with my help. I loved the mildly honey-sweet but salty flavour - a much lighter alternative than the usual sweet popcorns available. As an aside I absolutely LOVED the packaging of the FITCORN - not only was the bag my favourite shade of mustard yellow but it included beautiful illustrations of a honey bee all over it! LOVE!

Willy Chase's FITCORN honey bee packaging
I flippin' LOVE this packaging!

Hubby's top pick was the Heinz Beanz. He pulled a face when I first showed him the no added sugar mini tins - he said he's tried them before and they were horrible. However, it transpired that he'd tried them about 8 years ago, and since then Heinz have clearly improved their recipe! We had them with a dinner this week and they were really tasty.

My top pick from this month's box was the Americanos dark chocolate covered coffee beans - these were a revelation for me, and something I'll definitely be seeking out in the future. I love both coffee and dark chocolate so these were the perfect sweet treat for me, I enjoyed them with a cup of my favourite Columbian coffee in front of the TV of an evening, while we binge-watched our new favourite TV show 'Designated Survivor' on Netflix (watch it if you haven't!).

My other fave from this month's box was the berries and beet Coldpress juice. At only 64 calories per 150ml glass it's the perfect vitamin boost to accompany my breakfast. I usually avoid drinking fresh fruit juice due to the high sugar & calorie content (I HATE drinking my calories, I'm a food girl!) but this is light in comparison, and 150ml was the perfect sized glass for me. I was expecting it to over overwhelmingly earthy with the beetroot but it is remarkably sweet and refreshing, with an earthy aftertaste (which I love!) If you hate beetroot (like my hubby) then avoid and try an alternative flavour, but I would happily buy this one again.

I'm excited to try the Pomegranate and Basil mixer - I'm a huge gin and tonic fan, aside from red wine it tends to be my tipple of choice, I especially love to try variations of the G&T so I'm eager to give this mixer a whirl.

Another cracking box! I wonder what will be in next month's box? Exciting!

Would you like to give Degustabox a try? If so you can receive a whopping £7.00 off your first box by using code:

1VRVA

at the checkout!

Enjoy lovely peeps...

For more info on Degustabox follow them on their social media channels:

Thursday 23 February 2017

Back In Time: Installing A Vintage Kitchen

I don’t know about you, but I spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking up a storm. It’s the place the kids can’t go, due to the safety gate on the door, so it makes for a little haven for me. The thing is with kitchens, is that often they don’t reflect you. There’s only so much that you can do with appliances and putting the stamp of personality into a room you cook and hide cleaning products in isn’t the easiest task. But don’t let it stop you from making your dream into a reality in your home.
Mrs Bishop's Vintage Kitchen
Mrs Bishop's Vintage Kitchen
There’s something about a modern kitchen that makes most people’s hearts sing. Clean lines, perfect edges and marble counter tops to rival any working kitchen are the dream of some. It’s all about design and if you want something homely and warm, you cannot go wrong with a vintage kitchen design. Creating a space with character and nostalgic touches means going back in time a little. You don’t have to necessarily put in an outhouse in the garden and a compost heap, but there are several design ideas around that can make your kitchen into the vintage haven you’ve always dreamed about.
Mrs B's Vintage inspired kitchen
Mrs B's Vintage inspired kitchen - open shelving & hooks
Style unites all kitchens and evoking the right atmosphere takes making the right changes. You want to reflect a touch of nostalgia, of looking back into simpler times. Going back in time with the kitchen can remind you of childhood spent baking at your mothers’ side. Copper pots and pans hanging from ceiling racks, bold appliances and pastel colours are all vintage kitchenware that you should have on display. Scour your parents are grandparents houses for vintage cookery books, mixing bowls, cake tins, butter dishes, flour dredgers and jelly moulds. They are all things they might have lying around, no longer being used. If you find no luck there then charity shops, car boot sales, antique shops and flea markets are great places to find the perfect vintage accessories.

Glass fronted cabinets were all the rage once so consider having some open shelves displaying your plates and mismatched china, it will transport you back to a simpler time. I also use some vintage inspired hooks to display my large apron collection, making it an aesthetic display rather than just storing them away in a drawer/cupboard.

If you want to go really vintage, why not purchase an Aga to potter around in front of and warm the family stew in. You can also go online to find kitchen sinks to complete any kitchen, including those with a more rustic feel to them.
My Vintage Kitchen/Diner
My Vintage Kitchen/Diner
A lot of people favour the pristine look of a new, chrome-heavy kitchen. A vintage-style kitchen should not look perfect. A large, scrubbed wooden table with slightly mismatched chairs can give the whole kitchen that country look you might be going for. Shabby-chic upholstery on your chair cushions and solid wood cabinets painted in pastel shades can inject a little colour and life into the room. Your window treatments should be well textured in floral patterns to look pretty. I fill my kitchen/diner with lots of vintage-inspired bits and pieces such as china, bakeware, biscuit tins and little signs/plaques. I always try to have a jug of fresh flowers on the table - and add a Cath Kidston table cloth, napkins and dinnerware when I'm entertaining.

If you have a vision for your kitchen, it helps to put together a mood board to allow you to visualise everything you want for your kitchen. Don’t go back in time with your integrated oven or dishwasher, but definitely give the overall look of your kitchen a new lease of life. Going back to a simpler time doesn’t mean simple accessories but it does mean decorating in a way that is quirky and will leave its vintage mark.

This is a sponsored post.