Monday 10 February 2020

Perfect Yorkshire Pudding Recipe

Perfect Yorkshire pudding Recipe by Mrs Bishop
We all love a good Yorkshire pud with our roast dinner, right? Long gone are the days of only having a Yorkshire with a roast beef dinner - if there isn't a yorkie on the plate then it isn't a roast in my humble opinion. I would never DARE to give my kids a roast without one (or two, or three!) as I fear WW3 may be started.

But time and time again people tell me that they just buy frozen Yorkshires, that they're too hard to get right, and although there's nothing wrong with a good old Aunt Bessie's, there really is nothing quite like homemade. And the absolute and complete joy of lifting a glorious golden tray of puffed up puds from the oven to the "oohs' and "ahhs" of your family/friends.

It's taken a while to work out the perfect recipe that works for me every time, but now I have it I thought I should share it so you too can enjoy some perfect Yorkies with your next roast.

The Perfect Yorkshire Puddings

(makes 12)

Utensils

Batter bowl, mixing bowl or large jug
Scales
mini whisk
12 hole muffin tray (non stick)

Ingredients

Vegetable oil (to line the muffin tray)
140g plain flour
4 eggs
200ml milk
salt and pepper

Method

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

2. Pour vegetable oil into your 12 hole muffin tray (make sure it's a good quality non-stick one, this will really help to get the Yorkshires out after they're cooked).

3. Once the oven has reached temperature (NOT BEFORE) pop your oiled muffin tray into the oven and let the oil get really hot (at LEAST 10 minutes).

4. While the oil heats up make your batter. Measure out your flour, and then break in the 4 eggs - use the mini whisk to mix this up to a thick paste, and then pour in your milk, whisking until smooth. Grind in some salt and pepper to season.

5. Once the oil is really hot, and 25 minutes before you're ready to serve up your roast dinner, bring the tray carefully out of the oven and pour enough batter into each muffin hole so that it's full to the top.

6. Carefully place the tray back into the hot oven. This is the VITAL STEP...do NOT open your oven for 20-25 minutes. This, combined with the piping hot oil will ensure a good rise!

After 20-25 minutes your Yorkshires should be puffed and golden and ready to serve - if your muffin tray is a good non stick one they should just lift effortlessly from the pan!

NOTE: You could also use this exact Yorkshire recipe for making a toad in the hole - same applies with the hot oil, but just in one large pan rather than a muffin tin, and you'd need to brown your sausages in the oil first and then add your Yorkshire mix - then bake for 25-30 mins to ensure sausages are cooked through!

They also freeze perfectly - so why not make a giant batch and save some for a fuss free roast next time. Just leave to cool after cooking, place in a sandwich bag and freeze. To cook straight from the freezer just place in the oven for 4 minutes to thaw and reheat!

Here's some examples of my own Yorkshires using this recipe and method - it really is a fail safe recipe, as long as you follow all the steps it will work like a charm!

Perfect Yorkshire puddings example Mrs Bishop

Perfect Yorkshire puddings example Mrs Bishop

Perfect Yorkshire puddings example Mrs Bishop

Perfect Yorkshire puddings example Mrs Bishop

Perfect Yorkshire puddings example Mrs Bishop

Toad in the Hole by Mrs Bishop
Toad in the hole using the same recipe!

And if my efforts aren't enough to prove to you that you should give them a go, here's some attempts from friends and readers of the blog who made them using my recipe (they asked privately for my recipe and method after seeing my Yorkshire photos on Instagram)...

Yorkshire puddings by Chloe Hooley
Image courtesy of Chloe Hooley (@clo_hooley) on Instagram

Yorkshire puddings by Carla Tarry
Image courtesy of Carla Tarry (@carlatarryx on Instagram)

So go on...if we can do it, so can you! Surprise everyone with epic Yorkies this Sunday!

Mrs B xxx
Perfect Yorkshire pudding Recipe by Mrs Bishop
Why not ^^ Pin This ^^ for later!