Thursday 30 January 2014

12 Month Baking Challenge: JANUARY -Viennese Whirls

The first baking challenge of the year was to make Viennese Whirl biscuits - these are

one of my favourites, but I've never made them from scratch before, and I must say - WOW- these are the BEST biscuits I've ever eaten. Totally worth the effort to make them - they are real show stoppers, and literally melt in your mouth. I'm so glad I took the time to make these (thanks to the challenge) - I've made them a handful of times already - and given them away as gifts also.

I used the Hairy Bikers recipe from the BBC Food website here. I found it worked perfectly!

Ingredients

For the filling

Preparation method

  1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
  2. Put the butter, icing sugar, plain flour, cornflour and vanilla extract in a food processor and blend until smooth. You may need to scrape the mixture down a couple of times with a rubber spatula.
  3. Spoon the dough into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle. Pipe 16-18 x 6cm/2½in rosettes of the dough, spacing well apart.

  4. Bake in the centre of the oven for 13-15 minutes or until pale golden-brown and firm. Cool on the baking tray for five minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining dough to make 32-36 biscuits.
  5. For the filling, put the butter in a bowl and sift the icing sugar on top. Add the vanilla extract and beat with a wooden spoon or an electric whisk until very light and smooth. Spoon into a clean piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle. Put the jam in a bowl and stir until smooth.
  6. Spoon a little jam onto the flat side of 16 of the biscuits and place jam-side up on the cooling rack. Pipe the buttercream icing onto the remaining biscuits and sandwich with the jam. Put on a serving plate and dust with sifted icing sugar. Serve.

    And here is a finished whirl….yum yum yum….

    Sooooooo good!

    Why not try them yourself?