Thursday 2 November 2017

Super Clean Breakfast Biscuits RECIPE

Super Clean Breakfast Biscuits Recipe from Mrs Bishop

In a bid to maintain even energy levels, feel brighter, less tired and shift a few stubborn pounds I'm trying hard to make healthy choices 80% of the time in my diet.

I already exercise for around 6 hours per week with a mixture of walking, cardio at the gym, a PT session and two weekly swims, so I feel like I've got the exercise bit covered, it is just the eating that needs keeping in check to ensure I stay healthy.

Since having Connie 17 months ago I have shifted 1 stone of my 3 stone baby weight gain: during that time, instead of focussing on the numbers on the scales I have instead been working hard at making exercise a big part of my weekly routine. I've continued making mostly healthy choices, but have enjoyed 'treats' and days where I've not worried so much. I've stopped calorie counting: with the knowledge built up over the course of 3 years of consistently using My Fitness Pal I now know what is 'enough', when I'm eating something that is 'bad' or when my portion size is too big. I have a good knowledge of the calorie content of most foods and would now call myself a very conscious eater - never burying my head, always aware of what I'm putting into my mouth.

Seventeen months have passed since Connie's arrival and since shifting an initial stone of baby weight I have been comfortably maintaining my current weight. With two stone to lose to get back to my pre-Connie weight I have decided that now I feel ready to push forward with trying to achieve some losses and get my pre-pregnancy body back (or as close to it as I can).

As you all know, I love to cook and bake, I'm lucky that I am genuinely interested in food, and love to cook up a storm in my kitchen. With that in mind I'm often testing out new recipes or experimenting with new combinations of ingredients. Today's recipe came about from tinkering with what I had in the cupboard - I wanted a cookie/biscuit like bake that was totally clean and very filling (I don't like feeling hungry). I came up with these super clean breakfast biscuits.

I love them but the kids love them even more (WIN!) - they're perfect for a speedy breakfast on the run, lunch boxes, afternoon snacks or an evening pick me up with a coffee or tea.

They contain all clean ingredients, are REALLY filling, so satisfying and they keep well in an airtight container.

SUPER CLEAN BREAKFAST BISCUITS

(Makes 12)

Ingredients:

4 large ripe bananas, mashed

250g of porridge oats

50g desiccated coconut

150g melted butter

85g jumbo or flame raisins

40g honey (I used Rowse Orange Blossom honey)

Method:

Preheat oven to 180ÂșC. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.

Mash your bananas until smooth. Add porridge oats, desiccated coconut, melted butter, jumbo raisins and honey and stir until fully combined.

Add extra oats if your mixture is a little too sticky or a little water if it's too dry. You should be able to divide the dough and roll it into a ball without it completely crumbling or sticking to your fingers.

Divide the dough into 12 equal(ish) sized pieces and roll into balls. Flatten each ball and place on baking tray with a little space between each.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes until lightly golden and just starting to colour at the edges.

Super Clean Breakfast Biscuits Recipe from Mrs Bishop
My Breakfast biscuits ready for a quick bake!

Super Clean Breakfast Biscuits Recipe from Mrs Bishop
Fresh from the oven and ready to devour!

Super Clean Breakfast Biscuits Recipe from Mrs Bishop
These chunky rounds will keep you full and satisfy any sugar cravings in a natural way.

I hope if you make these that the whole family enjoy them. Try not to think of them as a biscuit or cookie replacement - if you fancy a proper chocolate chip cookie, then just have it and enjoy it, in moderation. But if you'd like a speedy breakfast option, or a healthier way to snack then these would be perfect.

What have you been baking this week?

Mrs B

xx

Super Clean Breakfast Biscuits Recipe from Mrs Bishop
Why not ^^ Pin This ^^ for later