Monday 30 December 2013

Bert's First Christmas...in photos

BERT'S FIRST CHRISTMAS IN PHOTOS....

Bert posing for many photos (as per usual) he is DEFINITELY the most photographed baby ever! :-) (not even ashamed!)

We have had a marvellous family Christmas - full of happy memories we will treasure forever! Despite my being ill over the whole festive period I've had a ball, and this Christmas has only made me more excited about Chistmases to come.

How were your Christmases?

I hope all my lovely readers have had as much fun as we have.

Now we have returned from Surrey back home to Bedford, all ready for some New Year festivities with Liam's side of the family which will be lovely.

I'm trying to rest & recover from this nasty chest infection, while unpacking and washing after our week away.

I am also doing my obligatory "What do I want to achieve from 2014?" brainstorm....more on that later!

A FIRST FOR BERT...

Today has been a big first for Bert - his first taste of "solid" food (I use the term solid loosely - there is nothing solid about baby rice pudding!) He absolutely loved it, and proved he is definitely ready to start the wonderful weaning journey!

You can see a video of Bert's first solid meal here.

Bye for now

Mrs B

xxxx

Tuesday 24 December 2013

The Bishop Family Christmas Eve Traditions...

IT'S CHRISTMAS EVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so I am completely over-the-top excited, and cannot wait for the festivities tomorrow!

Because it's Bert's first Christmas Liam and I have had a good think about what traditions we want to start now that we are a proper family unit, and what rules we want to follow when it comes to buying Bert gifts at Christmas.

One of the ideas we love is this simple gift giving rule:

I love this idea and think it makes a lot of sense. It means that kids get a sensible mix of fun, useful and educational gifts, and the rule will (hopefully) stop the frivolous spending that's so easy to fall into at Christmas time.

Using this rule we've bought the following gifts for our little man this year:

1 Thing Dad Bert wants : Melissa & Doug Wooden Castle
1 Thing Bert Needs: Travel Cot Mattress
1 Thing for Bert to Wear: Cute Christmas PJs
1 Thing for Bert to Read: 'That's Not My Reindeer' touchy-feely book

As well as the gift giving rule we have also decided to start a family tradition of letting Bert open a present early, on Christmas Eve.

 The gift will contain the ultimate Christmas Eve Pack including: a new pair of pjs, a Christmas themed DVD, a Christmas book, and some sort of sweet treat.

The idea is that he puts on his new pj's straight away, we sit down together as a family to watch the Christmas film with the sweet treat to snack on, and then we read him the Christmas themed story before bed! I love this idea, and especially love that over the years we will build up an awesome collection of Christmas books and films for him to treasure.

This years Christmas Eve pack:

The John Lewis "The Bear Who Had Never Seen Christmas" book, some gorgeous pj's from Tesco, and "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" on DVD (Hubby's favourite Christmas film!)

There is no sweet treat for Bert this year, as he is not yet on solid foods (although I'm sure Liam and I will find something sweet to nibble on!) The Christmas film was chosen by hubby, and is a film he watched and loved as a child, although it is not yet age-appropriate for Bert ... next year we'll get him a DVD he can truly appreciate as he'll have a bit more of an idea of what is going on.

CHRISTMAS TREE DECORATION

Each Christmas we also plan to get Bert a new decoration for him to hang on the tree - eventually it will be something he chooses for himself, but this year we were lucky enough to have a beautiful bespoke decoration made for him by the lovely Ruby Anne Ceramic Jewellerey . She makes the most beautiful ceramic pieces, and I'm lucky enough to own one of her stunning necklaces. When she kindly agreed to make this for Bert I was over-the-moon. The decoration is a ceramic star (nice and christmassey!) with a gorgeous red ribbon to hang it, a lovely glaze, and has "Albert's 1st Christmas 2013" printed into the ceramic. It really is stunning - it will be a decoration to treasure for many years to come.

Isn't it gorgeous?

And here it is with pride of place on the tree!

So, off I go to settle down on the sofa with my lovely family, and get even more excited about what tomorrow has in store!

Do you have similar Christmas Eve traditions? I'd love to hear about them.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all my lovely blog readers!

Have an amazing Christmas and I'll see you on the other side :-)

Friday 13 December 2013

CHRISTMAS JUMPER DAY & REVIEW

For those of you who didn't know, today was officially 'Christmas Jumper Day' to raise money for Save The Children, a fab charity which does amazing work throughout the UK.
Because of that, all of The Bishop household put on our Xmas jumpers today, including little Bert.

Bert and Mummy rocking our jumpers! :-)

Bert with his lovely Daddy x

We had a lovely christmassy day together and were warm and snug in our funny jumpers. I saw lots of people wearing their jumpers out and about today too, so I'm hoping lots of money has been raised.

You can find out more about donating over on the webpage here.

TEXT WOOLLY TO 70050 TO DONATE £1*
*You’ll be billed £1 plus standard rate text message. We receive at least £0.99 depending on your network. Include NO INFO to stop further communications, although please note that your donation may not appear on our Woolly Wonderboard. Queries? Call 020 7012 6400.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Christmas Jumper

My awesome Christmas jumper was kindly sent to me from Yours Clothing. It's a very bright and fun knitted jumper with a reindeer and snow motif. The jumper is priced at a very reasonable £24.  The jumpers have been so popular that unfortunately Yours Clothing are currently sold out of this specific jumper online; although hopefully they'll be getting some more in soon!

I was sent size 18-20 (as that was all they had in stock) - but it really didn't matter, I just popped a long fitted top on underneath, and rocked the "oversized" baggy look - it just meant that the jumper was uber-comfy!

The Reindeer Jumper from Yours Clothing

Here's me and my boy in our jumpers - sorry the picture doesn't show the reindeer very well (hence why I popped the other picture above ^^)

Silly faces!

We felt so festive and cheery today in our whacky jumpers - they're just so bad that they're actually good! I think the thing I love most about our silly jumpers is the retro nostalgia wearing them evokes! I remember when people wore these without the irony - true Bridget Jones style!

If you're a plus sized lady like me then I would definitely recommend this jumper; if you don't want to spend too many pennies, but would love a silly jumper you can bring out each year, then this is definitely the one to buy (stock replenishment depending!)

And remember, whichever silly jumper you choose the rules are

1) It can never be too tacky

2) The brighter the better (if flashing lights are built-in you really are a Christmas Jumper God)

3) You are MEANT to look stupid, it's ironic! :-)

Happy Christmas Everyone!

Mrs B

xxxx

Disclaimer: I was sent the reindeer christmas jumper from Yours Clothing for the purpose of this review. However, all words, opinions and photos are my own.

Tuesday 10 December 2013

Bread "Breakfast" Dinner Pasties!

Today I have a yummy recipe for you - very versatile - made in advance they would be a great weekend breakfast treat, perfect for a picnic, or simply served with chips for a delicious dinner.

The idea for this recipe stemmed from a Hairy Bikers recipe for making a pasty using bread dough for the casing instead of pastry for a much lower fat/calorie option. I have been playing around with this idea ever since, and this version is by far my favourite.

I have basically taken all the best elements of an English breakfast and wrapped it up in a bread roll :-)

ENGLISH BREAKFAST BREAD PASTY
(makes 6)

ingredients:

500g white bread mix
320ml warm water
8 rashers of smoked back bacon
4 good sausages
1 onion
100g chopped mushrooms
200g baked beans (1/2 a tin)
4 eggs
salt and pepper to season
milk to brush the tops before baking

method:

1. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees. Mix up the bread mix as per instructions on the packet, or make up a plain white bread dough from scratch. Leave to prove in a warm place for 40 mins-1 hour.

2. While bread is proving chop up your onion, sausages, bacon, and mushrooms into small bite size pieces. Fry in some olive oil until everything is just cooked through.

3. Whisk your eggs, season and then scramble in the frying pan with your other ingredients.

4. Leave the scramble mix to cool.

5. Once cooled mix through your baked beans, taste, and add extra seasoning if necessary.

6. Divide your dough into 6 equal amounts, and roll each one into a circle around 1cm thick.

7. Divide your scramble mixture into 6, and spoon an equal amount in the centre of each dough circle.

8. Fold the dough over the mix until it is completely encased. Turn the dough parcel over so that the seal is on the bottom, and place on an oiled baking tray.

9. Space the parcels out on the tray (as they will expand) and brush with a little milk.

10. Bake at 200 degrees for around 25 minutes until golden and hollow sounding when you knock the bottom.

Serve hot or cold.

approx 445 calories per pasty

freshly out of the oven - looks just like a bread roll - bite into it to get a breakfasty surprise!

we served ours with chips and beans (got to love a bit of nursery food!)

yummy roll with a full English filling!

Hubby had one cold today for his lunch and said it was really scrummy. I will definitely be making these again, they're fun and full of flavours that work so well together.

I reckon these would be a great hangover cure as well!

Just in case any of you are planning a few drinks over the festive period...

Liberty, Liberty, Liberty

For any of you who haven't heard, there's a new series on Channel 4 on Monday nights at 9pm called Liberty of London; a documentary series all about the iconic 'Liberty of London' department store.

It is so worth a watch!

Liberty is one of my favourite shops in the whole world! I love everything about it - how beautiful the building is outside and in, its long history, it's awesome fabric and haberdashery department, all the amazing handbags, shoes and jewellery (that I fear I'll never be able to afford!) and its impeccable service from friendly staff.

For me, being able to see behind-the-scenes at Liberty is a dream come true! I love visiting and shopping there, and have been fascinated by the store ever since my first visit 12 years ago when I was just 15. I can remember feeling that a whole world of shopping was opened up to me that day, and Liberty really was a shop like no other I'd ever seen before. I still get a rush every time I walk through the flower-shop and enter its maze of goodies just waiting for me to discover them.

a photo I took outside Liberty - its beauty never fails to impress me

I go back to Liberty any chance I get, which, sadly, isn't as often as I'd like. I'm never disappointed when I do go, and like its rivals (Harrods, Selfridges etc) I could gladly spend all day walking its creaky floorboards oohing and ahhing at the pretty treasures inside.

LIBERTY AT CHRISTMAS

Liberty opens its Christmas floor in September each year (just about the time I start getting excited about Christmas!) - and they have the most amazing array of Christmas decorations. What I love about Liberty is they embrace loads of colour and kitsch when it comes to Christmas, and if you can't be gaudy and colourful at Christmas, then when can you?

Here are my top 10 Liberty Christmas decorations this year....
1. Fabric Clip Bird £4.95

2. Sir Arthur Liberty hanging frame £14.95 (the founder of Liberty)

3. and 4. Retro Bambi and Owl decoration £6.95 each

5. Red sequin pear decoration £6.95, because I love anything that sparkles!

6. Wooden Fox Decoration £3.95

7. Flock Reindeer Decoration £4.95

8. Wooden Cut Out Pear Decoration £2.95

9. Coloured Set of Droplet Decorations, all five for £6.95

And finally,

10. Fuchsia Feathered Bird Decoration £3.95

I think that for Liberty, who are renowned for selling opulent, 'high end' luxury items, their decorations are very reasonably priced and affordable. If like me you have a strict budget to stick to, then you can still afford Liberty.

I must say that I think one of the reasons I like Liberty so much is because I always feel the challenge of searching for something within my price range. The luxury items are things (for me) to be lusted over and dreamt about, to be saved up for - if I could go in and afford everything I'm sure the excitement would be lessened.

LIBERTY FABRIC

Liberty is perhaps most famous for its prints - they have been designing and selling their fabric prints since they opened in 1875. Each season I love to browse through the fabric section on their website to see their new prints - that is if I haven't managed to visit the store itself! I love seeing the designers at work in the documentary and its great to see behind the scenes at how the designs are given life from the page to the print.

Here are my favourite prints from this season at Liberty...

click here to browse the full fabric collection

LUXURY LIBERTY 'DREAM' PURCHASES

Anyone who reads my blog regularly will know that I love a 'dream shop' - window shopping at its best. I love to imagine that money is no object, and decide what items I would purchase at my favourite stores. Here's my Liberty round-up...

Liberty London Pink Lodden Print Cotton PJ Set £160.00

Betsy Liberty Print Miniature Suitcase £65

Liberty London Small Claire Aude Print Knot Watch 59.00

In a parallel universe, where Liam might actually agree to wear this, I'd love to purchase this awesome Liberty London Blue Emma and Georgina Liberty Print Bow Tie £55

3.1 Phillip Lim Mini White and Blue Pashli Bag £675.00

Maison Martin Margiela Pink Clip Purse Leather Shoulder Bag £860

Sophie Hulme Floral Mini Envelope Leather Shoulder Bag £335

Unexpected Things Ornamental Roe Deer Trophy (for wall hanging) £38

White Walnut Bird Ornament £35.00
Teacakes and Candies Baking Tray/Mould £39.95

Christmas Tree Bundt Pan £37.95

Orange Silk Beakbeak Cushion £95
(because I've always loved kaleidoscopes ever since I was tiny, and images of birds are my 'thing')

Okay, so these are totally unnecessary, but PRETTY...
Daisy Potato Masher £22.95

Buttercup Balloon Whisk £22.95

LIBERTY FOR KIDS

Liberty do a gorgeous range for children - from clothes, to soft toys and figures/play sets - they're all absolutely gorgeous, and although pricey would make very stunning gifts for any special little people you might know.

Here are a few of my favourites, one of which we've already purchased for Bert (oops!)

Liberty London Baby Booties £35 (cashmere)

Anne Claire Petit Cute Sailor Crochet Bear £50.00

Le Toy Van Budkins Maximus Soldier £7.00

Melissa and Doug Folding Medieval Castle £85.00

(I have to admit that we have just purchased this for Bert, we know it's silly that he's only going to be 4 months old this Christmas, and won't remotely be ready to play with it for ages, but we figured we'd make the most of these years when he's too small to ask for horrible plastic rubbish and buy him some amazing 'proper' toys for when he's big enough!)

If I haven't converted you to a Liberty addict by now, then I don't think anything will persuade you - you'll just have to trust me - it's awesome!

I can't wait for my next visit, and for the final instalment of the documentary next week.

Bye for now and HAPPY SHOPPING!

Mrs B

xxxx

PS. I just added it all up and I just 'spent' £2741.30 in Liberty! Hahaha! I should have definitely been a millionaire!!!

Disclaimer: This is NOT a sponsored post, I wrote it because I genuinely love Liberty and it's products. I haven't received any freebies or incentives (although I wish I had!) :-)

Gorgeous Liberty Image I found on their Google +

follow them on Google + at  +Liberty London
and on Twitter @LibertyLondon