Friday 10 January 2014

Griddle Pan Waffles and EPIC Hot Chocolate Recipe

For those of you who, like me, watch every festive cookery programme going, you've probably already discovered this amazing hot chocolate and waffles combo - the recipes were featured on Jamie Oliver's festive food programme this Christmas, and as soon as I saw it I knew I just HAD to make them.

Jamie's recipe means you can make delicious waffles at home without a waffle iron - you just need a griddle pan or frying pan - hooray! The waffles can be served with maple or golden syrup, fruits, or the classic bacon/syrup combo! Alternatively, you can make his awesome "epic" hot chocolate, slice up the waffle and dunk the waffle soldiers into the thick choccie mix! *heaven*

I really loved the idea of making your own hot chocolate powder - I've now made a giant jar full of the lovely stuff. I think it would make a lovely gift - stored in a pretty Kilner jar with a ribbon and a nice label! Liquid Happiness i'd call it. Although, I'm not going to be able to give away this batch - it's just too good to share.

I hope you enjoy the recipe - and do have a go - it makes an amazingly luxurious weekend brunch, and most of us are likely to have the majority of the ingredients in the store cupboard. :-)

Griddle Pan Waffles

ingredients

2 free range eggs
300ml milk
225g self-raising flour
2 1/2 level tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
100g unsalted butter - melted and cooled plus about 1 tbsp extra

method

Crack the eggs into a bowl, add the milk and whisk to combine. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt then whisk until fully combined. Add the cooled melted butter and gradually stir it through the mixture. It's important not to stir the mixture any more after this or your waffles may be tough.

Place your griddle pan over a high heat, add the extra teaspoon of butter and as soon as it's melted pour in the waffle batter and spread it around to fill the pan. You could also make smaller waffles, if you prefer – you'll need to do 2 at a time.

Lower the heat to medium and cook the waffles for 8–10 minutes, or until lightly golden on the bottom. Flip over and continue to cook for 8–10 minutes, until golden and cooked through. (It can be tricky to flip a whole waffle, but be bold and go for it – if it breaks, don't worry, you can rock the rustic look.)

Give the waffle an extra couple of minutes on each side to crisp up, then serve them with your toppings.

1/4 of the waffle mix is 507 calories

"EPIC" Hot Chocolate

for the powder…

2 tbsps Horlicks powder
2 tbsps cornflour
3 tbsps icing sugar
4 tbsps organic cocoa
100g good quality dark chocolate (I recommend Menier, 70% ) finely grated
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 pinch of sea salt

method

Mix together all the powder ingredients and store in an air tight jar.

When you're ready for a delicious mug of this amazing chocolatey treat just heat up 2 pints of milk to almost boiling, add 10 heaped teaspoons of the chocolatey powder and whisk for 1-2 minutes until it forms a thick, glossy and unctuous texture.

a 300ml mug full is 352 calories

my "rustic" waffles and epic hot choc

I found it impossible to flip as one super-large waffle, so mine broke up a bit, next time I'll divide the batch into 4 smaller waffles and cook them in two batches - hopefully then they'll look a little prettier! Trust me though, they tasted insane!

my "epic" hot choc

My jar now sits on my dresser just waiting for a cold night when only a big mug of this liquid chocolate happiness will do!

For more of Jamie's amazing recipes visit his fab website here