Monday 20 April 2015

What's Your Favourite Retro Sweet?

Whatever happened to sweets? As I've gotten older I've just stopped eating them - with health experts and dentists tell us how bad they are for our teeth and waistlines I've spent my adulthood avoiding them, yet I spent my whole childhood constantly on the lookout for sweets!

Given as a reward when I behaved well, as a treat at christmas, birthdays and Easter, and sneaked to me by my Nan when my mum wasn't looking - sweets were, like many, a huge part of my childhood.

As bad as they are for us, a little of what you fancy does you good sometimes, and in moderation sweets can still be a really fun treat, even as an adult. As you tuck in to the sugary goodness you will find yourself transported back to days when life was just so much simpler.

Last week, I went to a friends 30th Birthday party - as part of the party buffet she had a huge retro sweet bar, and it was really fun to delve back in time, tasting sweets I hadn't eaten since I was small.

Sweets, sweets, sweets at my friends 30th party last week!

If you're planning a party and are looking for somewhere reliable to buy your retro sweets, then you need look no further...Retro Sweet has it all! From Aniseed Twists to Assorted Toffees, and Black Jacks, they have a huge selection to pick from.

Selecting Your Sweets

Everybody has different tastes and depending on the occasion, you may want to select a specific selection of sweets to impress your guests. Choosing the right sweet combination could be the first step in hosting a thrilling party. So, if you or someone you know is throwing a party, you’ll need to pick carefully.

Which sweets would you choose?

Different shapes, different sizes

Retro sweets come in all shapes and sizes. Kids seem to really love the crazy shaped sweets. Fortunately, there are so loads of them available. For instance, every kid will love the Candy Canes, and Jelly Scorpions, Snakes, Spiders, and Rats!
Teenagers are a difficult lot to please but stick to a varied selection of retro classics and you're sure to keep everyone happy!

You might like to select your sweets by theme - if you’re hosting say, a summer garden birthday party you could choose from a wide variety of Strawberry retros including; Strawberry Hearts, Strawberry Bon Bons, and Strawberry Milkshakes - nothing says summer like strawberries after all!

You could pick all round shaped sweets or just the really quirky shaped ones, you could make sweet trees and then create a whole orchard of sweets for your guests to eat from. You could serve your sweets on tiered cake stands, or out of classic striped paper bags - the possibilities are endless!

Those striped paper bags bring back so many memories...

Choice by colour

You could also choose your retro sweets by colour, I do love a bit of colour co-ordination! Back in the day, one famous sweet manufacturer used the tagline; “taste a rainbow of fruit flavours.” That manufacturer had a point; sweets come in all sorts of fabulous colours which is partly what makes them so attractive! The rainbow might only have seven colours but Retro sweets come in so many more!!

  • White sweets
White sweets are some of the most commonly used at parties, probably because white fits in with almost any occasion and colour scheme. Maybe it’s because there are so many white retro sweets to choose from?

White chocolate is the most popular in this category with chewy nougats also very common because of their proven attraction to sweet fans of all generations. To take care of guests who prefer to suck rather than chew, the Bon Bons would be a wise choice. Golf Ball Bubble Gums are also very addictive, and will have your guests competing in bubble blowing competions before the party is over!

Imagine how elegant an all-white sweetie table would look at a wedding, or christening party? Pure and perfect.
  • Pink and blue sweets
For lovers of colour, pink and blue is a lovely colour combination (think boys/girls, baby showers, first birthdays etc). There is of course the analogy that blue is just for boys but we all know that's a little outdated - girls love blue sweets just as much as the boys do! I'm thinking Wham Bars, Refreshers Bars, Fizzy Blue Strawberry Creams or Giant Jelly Dolphins would be perfect for a blue themed soiree. For pink sweets you could select Pink Chocolate Hearts, Foam Shrimps, Strawberry Bon Bons, Pink Flying Saucers, Fizzy bottles, Foam Mushrooms, Strawberry Milkshakes, and Cherry Fizz balls!
  • Brown
It might sound quite boring but a brown sweet selection could make for a really interesting vintage feel sweetie bar: why not make sweet cones using faded brown newspaper, or serve the sweets in old fashioned brown paper bags - with so many old favourites to choose from, this one-colour-only effect could look really cool. You could use Cola Bottles, Mint Humbugs, Pint Pots, Assorted Toffees, Vanilla Fudge, Sweet Peanuts, Chocolate Bananas and Butterscotch - you won't hear any complaints!

  • Other Colour Ideas

Some other popular colour ideas for sweet buffets are red, gold, pastel shades, and yellow.

  • The Rainbow
Most popular of all when it comes to sweet selections at events is going the whole hog with a fun multicoloured table of sweetie heaven: watch your guests eyes light up as they behold the selection that will transport them back to their childhoods.

For more ideas on how to create you perfect sweetie-bar why not check out my Pinterest board here.

Summary

There isn’t a limit to what you can achieve when you shop with Retro Sweet UK because they will always have exactly what you need to deliver the most memorable sweetie selection since you stood in that sweetie shop as a child.

Hosting a party soon? Retro Sweet UK will deliver the sweets to your venue free of charge for orders above £40.

Call us on 0844-257-9006 for more information.

This is a sponsored post.