Monday, 28 September 2015

Health Conscious Giveaway

I'm starting my Monday as I mean to go on - full of healthy, clean, natural food choices wherever possible, plenty of water, not too much caffeine and a good long walk.

After years of over-eating, and little exercise, I have learnt how amazing it feels in both body and mind when I nourish myself with good balanced, healthy food, and get plenty of exercise. These things are now part of my daily routine, and I don't feel like I have to work particularly hard anymore to ensure I'm leading a balanced life when it comes to my diet and the amount of exercise I do.

In recent weeks I have been searching out new recipe ideas on my quest to put together a personal bible of 'clean eating' recipes I can rely on. Last week saw me try lots of new recipes from the likes of Deliciously Ella and The Kitchen Shed, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed. They were tasty, filling, vibrant and interesting meals - and most of them came in at under 600 calories.

I always cook the same meal for both Liam and I, however, I tend to bulk his out by adding meat or extra carbohydrate or garlic bread etc - so that he can still eat a good hearty portion which will keep him full, and provide him with the extra calories he needs. I am very aware that I don't want to dictate what he eats too much and don't want to force a super-clean diet on him.

I've said time and again that I do not consider myself to be a 'clean eater' 100% of the time, heck, probably not even 75% of the time. I eat processed food sometimes, I have the odd takeaway - and as you all know I'm rather partial to a piece of cake. However, where possible I try to make clean choices, and strike up a good balance between clean foods and the not-so-clean.

Today's lunch in at under 400 calories: a chicken, pesto, feta and avocado salad with lettuce and tomatoes plus a big bowl of steaming kale dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. So filling, full of goodness and totally clean and delicious.

For me, leading a healthy lifestyle is all about organisation and planning (two of my favourite things, luckily). You won't be able to eat a good balanced diet without some planning and forethought. Each week I spend about an hour looking through recipe books and websites getting meal ideas for the week ahead. I plan seven meals (not necessarily on which day we are going to eat them) but I ensure we have seven balanced meals for the week - and then write my shopping list accordingly - checking the fridge/freezer/cupboards for what I already have, and what needs using up.

This organisation means that a) we rarely waste any food at all and b) I don't go to the supermarket and wander aimlessly chucking random things in my trolley that may or may not make a meal. It means I am focussed, I spend less money on food and ultimately, we eat better as a family.

Another key to a balanced diet is having a well stocked store cupboard - there are a few key products that I urge you start using if you don't already

-Organic peanut butter: it is so good for you, and is so filling and comforting. Great on rye bread for a speedy slow release breakfast, or even great for dipping fruit in as a snack. You can stuff medal dates with peanut butter and leave them in the fridge for a quick energy boost, and it is also used in many clean eating baking recipes.

-Coconut oil: I'm planning a future post based solely on this amazing oil - but if you haven't come across it yet, then give it a go. It is so versatile - you can use it to cook anything you'd use olive oil for, it is great for dressings, perfect in clean baking, and even is an amazing moisturiser.

-Fruit teas: If like me you could easily drink about 8 cups of tea a day, then a herbal alternative is well worth having in stock. I am now trying to limit myself to only 2-3 caffeinated teas per day maximum (which is a tiny amount for someone with a 5-6 a day habit) and so to replace my normal teas I have been trying lots of different herbal/fruit teas. They are cleansing and refreshing, but give the warmth and comfort of a normal tea. Try a few different ones to find your favourite brand/flavours, there are so many out there to try.

-Wholewheat carbohydrates: Brown rice and pasta are infinitely better for you than their processed white cousins. They release energy slowly, keeping you feeling full up for longer, and ultimately preventing you from snacking on rubbish. I still weigh out my carbohydrates every time I cook as it is very easy to cook far too large a portion of carbohydrate - always follow the recommended portion size on the packet.

If my readers are interested I am planning on putting together some clean food lists which might help you to make better food decisions and shop more wisely when you're in the supermarket...watch this space...

Right, to inspire you all on this bright sunny Monday I have a fabulous giveaway for you - you could win this awesome 'Health Conscious' food bundle from Discount Supplements worth £25, just enter via the Gleam App below..

GOOD LUCK!

This prize was provided by Discount Supplements

Health Conscious Giveaway

SuperLucky Blog Giveaway Linky

37 comments:

  1. My number one tip is be friends with fruit and vegetables and only eat home made cake! I have also recently discovered that Pukka Vanilla Chai Tea is a satisfying alternative to caffeinated drinks, I highly recommend it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My courgette plant did really well this year so I sometimes make courgetti instead of having pasta, it's filling without being bloating and adds an extra portion of veg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I alway say it is best to eat in moderation and exercise. Have three meals a day an a healthy snack in between if necessary and opt for low fat, reduced ugar varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure I'm the right person to give advice. Just it's not enough to read all the advice, you have to take it in and act on it. It's common sense really, don't overindulge too often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay away from the junk food isles at the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay away from the junk food isles at the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't overly restrict yourself, if you fancy a chocolate bar one day then eat it, but make sure you work out too! If you over-restrict yourself then you'll end up resenting your diet and will be more likely to be depressed and eventually quit it altogether

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't eat anything your great grandmother recognize as food! If it has any ingredients you don't recognize, avoid it. Basically if it's not real food, don't eat it. Makes a world of difference, as many additives badly effect our health and weight to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eat 5 portions of fresh fruit/vegetables daily! That way you'll maintain a healthy metabolism and also a good-looking skin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have to say eat fruits and veggies for sure

    ReplyDelete
  11. My top tip would be never to shop on an empty stomach as you're more likely to buy junk!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Try to eat regular healthy meals to stop you snacking on unhealthy snacks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Try to eat regular healthy meals to stop you snacking on unhealthy snacks

    ReplyDelete
  14. make sure you don't limit yourself and try to eat a bit of everything xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eat fresh and eat colourful think of the rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  16. Plenty of fruit and veg, drink lots of water

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just eat real food & avoid processed rubbish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything in moderation and cook from scratch if you can

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't deny yourself foods, quickest way to overeat an item is to ban it (I find!)
    Sheila Reeves @CakeReev

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do not completely cut out carbs or do a special diet like the yo-yo diet, just eat what you ate before but just in smaller portions :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything in moderation and drink plenty of water

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a brilliant post - I can't wait to see the lists, I'll find those really interesting. I am eating (or trying to!) in a very similar way to you these days, from the sound of it :)

    My number one tip would be moderation! Everything in moderation, and not to get too hung up on any one aspect of food - recipe for disaster

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eat what you like, but in small helpings

    ReplyDelete
  24. All those shouting "Moderation, moderation" have got it right but, remember, "in all things!"

    ReplyDelete
  25. I try to make sure at least 60% of what is on my plate (or my kids plates) is fruit or vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I try and drink Green tea and water only and start every day off with half a grapefruit as it cleanses my insides and makes me feel fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Write everything down and drink plenty of water. I also have a glass of wheat grass everyday to help keep myself nice and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  28. I keep track of my calories and fat and make sure to work out at least 4 times a week this is how i stay in tip top condition,

    ReplyDelete
  29. eat what you want, but make sure you keep to your 5 a day

    ReplyDelete
  30. dont punish yourself if you have an off day. get back on track the next day

    ReplyDelete
  31. If you find yourself tempted to eat something unhealthy / fattening / junk, distract yourself by doing an activity that will keep your mind and hands busy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Drink water or milk rather than sugary drinks

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cut the carbs and keep it mainly veg!

    ReplyDelete