Thursday, 17 March 2016

The Bishop Abode: Master Bedroom

It's time for another peek into our home here at Chez Bishop! I hope you all enjoyed seeing our nursery in the last #TheBishopAbode post...now on to the master bedroom.

This was the first room we decorated when we moved into our house in 2011- before redecoration it just had plain white walls and lots of lilac accessories. It was very girlie, plain and pretty boring - not our taste at all. It felt so good putting our own stamp on the room and I love it just as much now as I did back then.

Our main 'feature' of the room is our monochrome wallpaper...

Little Greene's 'Hampstead Ink' wallpaper is our 'feature wall' in the master bedroom.

As soon as I saw this paper I fell in love with it, luckily Hubby loved it too and he did a grand job of putting it up along with help from my lovely Father in Law. Good job boys!

Hampstead Ink wallpaper...it was love at first sight!

Our master bedroom isn't the biggest bedroom in our house - we decided to make this room the 'master' as it had brilliant in-built storage and is positioned at the front of the house, which is where I prefer to sleep. The larger bedroom is our guest room/Bert's big boy room, which fits both a double guest bed as well as Bert's single bed. Our master bedroom is plenty big enough for Liam and I, we'll even manage to fit in the swinging crib by my bedside when Baby Girl Bishop arrives in the summer....exciting times ahead.

Fresh flowers and delicious smelling candles, this grown up space is all about rest, relaxation and recuperating from the stresses of daily life. (Oh, and playing PlayStation 4 if you're hubby!)

We were at a loss as to how we should decorate/dress the wall space above our bed...for a while it was blank while we searched high and low for the right piece of artwork, canvas etc...we couldn't find anything that was right. Then I had a brainwave! I remembered these fab wallpaper samples I'd collected when searching for our bedroom wallpaper, and dug them out (I'm so glad I saved them!) I had various size/colour way pieces of the brilliant 'Brighton' wallpaper by Harlequin, which fitted perfectly into this cluster of black IKEA frames... I was so chuffed with how it turned out - the perfect finishing touch to an otherwise very blank wall.

Although the framed paper isn't the same design as our main feature wall wallpaper, I think the bold black and white house design with a splash of colour compliments the room really well.

A little cluster of art above the bed...

It was important to us not to have a totally monochrome bedroom - we love colour and chose to add a big bright splash to this room using designer bedding from Debenhams...

We use our bedding to add a big splash of (my favourite) colour to our otherwise monochrome bedroom. (Please note that I clearly don't iron my bedsheets...! I so don't have time for that!)

Just as important as looking lovely, it is vital for me that our bedroom space is practical and easy to keep tidy...I really like things to be organised and try hard to ensure that everything in my house has a set home - thankfully, this room has oodles of storage from four massive under bed drawers, two large chest of drawers, two bedside cabinets and a very cool built in walk-in-wardrobe...

Our Master Bedroom... (*notice my gorgeous new Boden breton top hanging on the built in wardrobe*)...I can't wait to wear it post-baby #2.

The in-built wardrobe houses all of our hanging clothes, underwear, shoes, scarves, bags, holiday cases etc... it is literally like a mini Tardis and really helps to keep the clutter hidden away. I also have a jewellery hanger affixed to the wall to store all of my big/clunky costume jewellery and the door hooks on the back of the bedroom door are home to our dressing gowns.

We have a large window at the foot of our bed which lets in loads of natural light, and to the left of the window we have put up a fun vinyl wall sticker which houses our clock...

Vinyl Grandfather clock wall sticker and my nursing chair...all ready for our new addition in the summer!

Bedside tables are a funny thing aren't they...the drawer in mine is full of the most random things from hair bands and lip balm, to kindle chargers, pens, coins, tissues, and various receipts etc! I have a good clear out of the drawer every few months...for those who are complete 'F.R.I.E.N.D.S' addicts like me, it is my version of Monica's secret cupboard...!

I do love me a bit of rose-gold...my bedside table.

I use this mini rose gold mirrored chest of drawers on my bedside table to house all of my favourite jewellery. I always make sure there's room for my glasses, phone, baby monitor, kindle and a glass of water as well as my bedside 'house' lamp, which was a wedding present back in 2012. I try as much as I can to keep things simple and uncluttered. (And instead shove random things into the messy drawer! Ha!)

The final corner of the bedroom to share is our little alcove space which is a recent addition...

Bedroom alcove

Hubby recently turned a second cupboard in our bedroom into this alcove chest of drawers space. This is basically my dressing table and the chest of drawers stores all of hubby's folded clothes. We added houses cut out from wallpaper remnants to the shelf above to make it a really fun space and to ensure it ties in well with the rest of the room. All my lotions/potions etc are stored on the top and it's where I stand and get ready each morning.

As you can hopefully see we've poured a lot of love into this humble space, and hopefully we'll be happy with it's design and decor for many years to come...

I'd love to know what you think of our room...I hope you enjoyed this little nose round our home and stay tuned for the next instalment, coming soon!

That's all for now folks...

Home Etc

17 comments:

  1. As you know I love your home and am aspiring to add a more personal touch to my own so it feels more like home. It's lovely to see how you have been able to add these personal touches without breaking the bank. I have to admit though I am super jealous of the amount of storage you have x

    ReplyDelete