Friday 14 February 2014

Happy Valentines Day 2014 *Homemade Jammy Dodgers*

Happy Valentines Day to all my lovely readers - I hope you've all been spoilt rotten today & are really feeling the love!

It's been love-central here in The Bishop House and I've been busy baking-the-love with some scrumptious homemade Jammy Dodgers!

The final product was truly delicious - FAR superior than any shop bought Jammy Dodger biscuit you might buy! And fear not lover baking-blog readers... the process is super-easy to follow, not too faffy, and the results are sure to impress anyone this Valentines.

HOMEMADE JAMMY DODGERS
Makes 20 biscuits

Ingredients:
250g butter (at room temp)
150g caster suagr
1 egg yolk
1 tsp Vanilla exctract
300g plain flour

Raspberry jam to sandwich the biscuits.

(6cm round cutter & small 1-1.5cm heart/star/circle cutter)

Method Overview:

1. Preheat oven to 180 & line two baking trays.

2. Cream the butter and the sugar together.

3. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix until fully combined.

4. Add the flour, mix well until a dough forms.

5. Split dough into two equal parts - wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30mins.

6. Roll dough out to about 1 cm thick and cut rounds using the 6 cm cutter. Then repeat with the second half of the dough - this time cutting out the centre if each circle with your smaller cutter.

7. Bake for 15 -20 minutes, but keep an eye on them - they over brown very quickly - they should be lightly golden and firm to touch. Leave to cool on a wire rack.

8. Spread a little raspberry jam on the biscuit without the hole, then sandwich together with a hole-y one! Ta'dah!

Ooh jammy goodness! They aren't perfect looking, but that adds to the charm, right?

And I couldn't resist photographing them alongside my beloved Jammy Dodger cushion, and knitted cakes…

I made a batch of 20 biscuits - which made 10 individual Jammy Dodgers, if I'd made them a little thinner I'd have been able to get around 24/12 in total- but I think they benefit from being slightly thicker and more robust - they are much easier to handle and less likely to crumble in your hands when you sandwich them together.

I packaged the finished biscuits up in pairs in little cellophane bags tied with rustic brown parcel labels & stamped with my "Baked with love by Lucy Bishop" ink stamp - which is a very cute way to make your baking gifts look extra special. I gave them out as little Valentines gifts to some good friends (and their husbands, if they make them home to their husbands!)

I hope they all enjoyed them…

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!