Saturday 13 June 2015

How To Make The BEST EVER Sausage & Egg Muffin (McDonalds Style!)

As much as I like to think of myself as a pretty heath conscious and moderate person when it comes to food these days, we all have times when we need a blow-out, and for me that usually comes in the form of something super-greasy!

I try not to eat this sort of food too often, and have found that since my big lifestyle change 22 months ago, it never tastes quite as good as I think its going to anyway. Take-Away food actually makes me feel quite ill these days...so I got to thinking about creating some of my treat food favourites at home, and boy am I glad I started down this avenue because I have come up with the ULTIMATE in comfort food - a McDonalds breakfast Sausage and Egg McMuffin that you can make in less than 15 minutes at home....YES!

Sausage and Egg Muffins (McDonald's Style)

(Serves 4 for breakfast/brunch or two for dinner)

You will need:

4 English muffins
4 Lincolnshire sausages (I used Lidl Hazelmeade Farm)
4 free range eggs
4 cheese singles (I used Lidl Tenery)
butter for the toasted muffins
oil for frying (I use Aldi Specially selected Rapeseed oil)

Equipment:

2 frying pans
2 pastry rings (or cookie cutter rings if you don't have a pastry ring)
Toaster or grill

Method:

1. Cut your muffins in half and place in toaster ready to toast.
2. Take each sausage a snip up the skin to remove the outer casing, discard the casing and shape each sausage into a flat burger-like patty - I make them pretty thin as they thicken up when they fry.
3. Heat a little oil in each frying pan and place your four sausage patties in one pan, turning occasionally and cook for around 10 minutes until cooked through (you can cut partially into one to ensure theres no pink meat).
4. While the sausage patties are cooking fry your eggs - I fry each egg inside a pastry ring to ensure my eggs fry in a nice round shape (just like McDonalds). Just break each egg carefully into a ring and fry it until cooked how you like them - unless you want a super messy McMuffin with egg yolk oozing everywhere I'd flip your egg for the last few seconds to set the yolk.
5. Toast and butter your muffins, then place a fried egg on the bottom layer of muffin, followed by the sausage patty, and then pop the cheese single on top of the sausage to melt and become all molten and oozy. Pop on the muffin top, and devour!

For a traditional McDonalds taste, don't add any sauce! It seriously tastes like an even more amazing version of the real deal. Ensure you use Lincolnshire sausages to get the authentic McMuffin taste!

Each muffin comes in at around 400 calories so although a treat food, it's totally do-able for a calorie controlled diet.

The various super-easy stages of making your own Sausage & Egg McMuffin at home!

The pictures do not do it justice! They are soooooooo good! One is never enough!

We have had these for dinner about three times now, and I'm always amazed at a) how quick they are to put together and b) how satisfying they taste! Two for dinner is a treat at 800 calories, but they really are far superior to their fast food cousins, and would bring a smile to anyones face, I'm sure of it.

Pure, ultimate, indulgent, oozy, greasy comfort food at its best!

I can't wait to make these for a weekend breakfast when we next have guests to stay - it is definitely cheaper, quicker and far more tasty that making an early morning trip to McDonalds, plus you don't have to rush there by 10:30am - these babies can be made and eaten any time to day! Woo hoo!

Someone on social media said they were struggling to find the right tasting cheese to recreate these...I use Lidl's Tenery cheese slices, which are the closest match to the McDonalds cheese I've found...

The closest match to McDonalds' oozy cheese!

I'd love to know if you give these a go at home - give me a tag in any pictures if you do! (@lucybishop2012)

Enjoy peeps!

Eat Your Heart Out