Tuesday 7 July 2015

Lucy's Lamb Kleftiko *RECIPE*

Lucy's Lamb Kleftiko
(Serves 4)

This slow cooked lamb dish is my favourite dinner of all time. Reminiscent of my childhood holidays to Greece, I have developed this recipe over time, having tasted many Kleftiko dishes all over Greece, Cyprus and of course, here in the UK. This final recipe is a culmination of all of the best Kleftikos I've tasted - and I am finally happy to share it with you all.

Kleftiko is a Greek meal traditionally cooked under ground, or in a clay oven - but these days the Kleftiko is cooked in a parcel using parchment paper or foil.

It's not the prettiest dish ever, but I promise you the flavour it produces is to die for.

My Kleftiko awaiting a long, slow bake.

Ingredients

400g boned lamb shoulder, cut into large chunks
8 shallots, peeled and cut in half
8 whole peeled lightly smashed garlic cloves
12 baby plum tomatoes, whole
12 baby new potatoes, cut into quarters or halves
200g feta cheese, diced or crumbled
200g pitted green olives
1 whole lemon, cut into 8 wedges
1 teaspoon oregano
A generous pinch of cinnamon
2 bay leaves
2 springs of rosemary
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
Salt & pepper to season
Rapeseed or olive oil to coat

Method

First pre-heat your oven to 130 degrees.

Next, get a baking tray and line it with foil. You are basically making a giant foil wrapped food parcel, so be generous with your foil.

drizzle a little oil into the bottom of the foil lined tray and add your diced lamb.

Add in all your other diced ingredients, drizzle with more oil and mix until everything is combined.

Add your herbs/spices and seasoning, mix again.

Wrap your parcel up with a foil lid, so it is sealed on all sides.

Put in the oven for 4 hours at 130 degrees.

After 4 hours is up, turn your oven up to 180 degrees and cook for one final hour.

Serve straight from the oven with a big Greek salad, warm pitta breads and a homemade Tzatziki.

Kleftiko with warm pitta and homemade Tzatziki.

Tzatziki

To make homemade Tzatziki:

1. Coarsely grate half a cucumber, once you've grated your cucumber squeeze it in your hands to get rid of excess water.

2. Mix a tub of full fat greek yoghurt with a large drizzle of olive oil, the juice of a whole lemon, 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill, 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint and the grated half a cucumber.

3. Mix well, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.

The Tzatziki can be kept in the fridge covered up for a day or two.

Happy Greek cooking everyone!!

I'd love to hear from you if you give this recipe a go...

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com