Wednesday, 7 October 2015

Baking with Renshaw: Decorating Cupcakes and a Fabulous GIVEAWAY

The fabulous people over at Renshaw Baking sent me the most amazing package full of their baking goodies to test out a few weeks ago. I was brimming with ideas and couldn't wait to get started.

First of all I hit Pinterest to get some inspiration for how to decorate successfully with fondant icing. My plan was to make two batches of cupcakes, and decorate them with elaborate icing decorations - for two very special birthdays - my friend Alison turning 62, and my husband's nan who was turning 94!!

Follow Lucy Bishop's board Cupcake decoration ideas on Pinterest.

First things first I baked the cakes - chocolate sponge with dark chocolate centre cupcakes, and plain vanilla cupcakes. I iced the chocolate cakes with homemade chocolate cream cheese frosting, and made a plain vanilla frosting with my homemade vanilla extract for the vanilla cupcakes.

I went for a pink and green theme - as these are Liam's Nan's favourite colours - I also knew I wanted to incorporate cats and crafts somewhere - as they are both important things to the birthday ladies. I coloured the vanilla frosting a very light green, and then set to work making my decorations using the fabulous ready to roll icing packs that Renshaw had sent me.

Co-ordinating my icing with apron, as you do!

Stamping out little flowers from my Renshaw icing...

Icing flowers everywhere!

I used a silicone leaf mat to print leaf shapes onto icing, and then carefully cut them out. Painstaking job!

I curled some of the leaves before they dried to make them look a little more realistic.

Next I marbled together two shades of pink icing - and then used a small star cutter to cut out these cute little stars!

Next I combined two shades of brown and yellow fondant to create this tortoiseshell effect - I then pushed the fondant into a silicone button mat (which I bought ages ago to make chocolate "buttons") - this was very fiddly but totally worth it as I was so pleased with how the buttons turned out.

Next I made a super special single cupcake for my friend Alison, who is cat-mad...I used inspiration from my Pinterest board to create a cat face using fondant. This was pretty tricky, and so I'm glad I had only decided to make one of these, otherwise I'd have been chained to the kitchen for hours longer! I was really pleased with how this little fella turned out...

I was super-chuffed with my finished cakes, especially as it was my first time using fondant to decorate cupcakes. I don't usually go in for highly decorated bakes, and instead to try to concentrate on the quality of the bake and flavours, but on this occasion it was really nice to get รผber-creative and have a play.

My finished flower cakes

Chocolate cupcakes decorated with Renshaw icing flowers.

Buttons and stars cake!

Marble stars cake

The Renshaw products were so fun to work with, all the colours are really even and so vibrant. The ready to roll fondant is lovely and soft and malleable, which makes it a pleasure to mould. I especially loved the effect I got when marbling colours together. I'm looking forward to coming up with fun ways to use the rest of my Renshaw stash!

If you'd like to get your hands on your own Renshaw stash of goodies, then I have one to giveaway to a lucky reader - to enter just use the Gleam App below.

Good Luck Everyone!

And Happy Baking!

WIN a Renshaw Baking Hamper

SuperLucky Blog Giveaway Linky

81 comments:

  1. Each year we get to October and I'm not sure make a big deal about it or not. But I think I would make a cake for the day that Our Sidekick has been living with us for four years. It's imminent and kind of exciting but it's also kind of sad if that makes sense. So I think I would make cake but I'd ask him first if he's happy with that before I spring it on him and it upsets him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something for our Anniversary in November - I love Renshaw products - you did a great job lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd bake some Halloween cupcakes with my little ones! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would make my own Birthday cake witch in Dec xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I 'd bake a birthday cake for Dad...his birthday is mid december

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd make some special Halloween themed cakes with my super talented sister in law for my neice and nephew x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would really love to make a christmas cake for the family this year

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would make a chocolate anniversary cake for my Mum & Dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to try a surprise polka dot cake

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some nice biscuits!

    AShleigh

    ReplyDelete
  11. A big birthday cake for my daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. would have to be a banana cake with a couple of other flavourings

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Key Lime Pie....would love to try and get a bright green dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would bake some Banana loaf

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband's birthday cake x

    ReplyDelete
  16. An 18th birthday cake for my daughter ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would practice decorating cupcakes with my son.

    ReplyDelete
  18. congratulations cupcakes for a new baby

    ReplyDelete
  19. A house moving cake for my daughter

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd bake my Grandad's birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd attempt to make my Mum's 60th birthday cake! Your cupcakes look delicious! :)

    Jen xx
    http://www.kitsch-n-sync.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would make some nice cupcakes for my husband, its our anniversary soon

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would LOVE to attempt to bake the cat cupcake you have made!!! WOW weldone super cute, My little ones would love to help me bake that :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really want to teach myself how to decorate properly, my eldest little girl wants a Hello Kitty birthday cake so I have 4 months to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A birthday cake for my son's 3rd birthday! He wants a minecraft one!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would bake some halloween cakes

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would bake some spooky halloween cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would use it for baking my sons birthday cake X

    ReplyDelete
  29. Would make my children's teachers there Christmas treats

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's my twin daughters 17th birthday in November so I could surprise (or horrify them) and make a cake instead of buying one x

    ReplyDelete
  31. cakes with a Winter design with my little girl

    ReplyDelete
  32. A Halloween themed Birthday cake for my friend : )

    ReplyDelete
  33. Our start to think about our christmas cake x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well I've got 2 of the kids birthdays before Christmas so birthday cakes and cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. i'd try and copy those cute flower cupcakes you made!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'd let my husband decide....he's the pro baker in our house lol!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think I'd make cupcakes with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Birthday cakes - lots of birthdays coming up in November, December and January! (HELP!)

    ReplyDelete
  39. hmm something easy to introduce my 3 year old to baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'd make my hubby an amazing superhero birthday cake and really go to town with the decorations :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Id give it all to my friend, it's her birthday coming up and she's a very talented cake dectorator so I'd leave it to her!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I guess I would have to do a xmas cake for the family

    ReplyDelete
  43. Christmas cake and decorated cookies x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Cupcakes, my three love making cupcakes x

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'd like to make some cake pops first. I haven't made any in a while, so I can try out some different designs for Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  46. I need to do more practicing for my sister in laws wedding cake so chocolate cake for her

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'd bake a party cake for my daughter and her friends.

    ReplyDelete
  48. A celebratory cake for my sister, who is due a baby boy the end of November!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I would let my son decide as we love baking together. Something with chocolate in no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I need to make my dad a 90th birthday cake for end of November! He loves cricker so guess I need to model a footballer, but this is a challenge as they are hard to get to stand up!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow, what an amazing stash! And I am really impressed with your ideas, and they look great :) I would make some Christmas themed cakes for the village school fayre!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I would bake a Christmas cake. In previous years the cake itself has been OK but let down by the decorating, so hopefully this year will be better

    ReplyDelete
  53. Some biscuits or cupcakes with my little girl - she loves baking with me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  54. I'd make a nice Christmas cake for the kids :D

    ReplyDelete
  55. I would make a Christmas cake as not bothered too much before but this year i would like a traditional Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  56. A rainbow cake for our little girls upcoming birthday. Amazing giveaway! Thank you for the chance :-)

    ReplyDelete
  57. I would love to make some caked for the family ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  58. cupcakes as gifts for my family and friends

    ReplyDelete
  59. Cupcakes. I love them with my tea.

    ReplyDelete