Wednesday 11 April 2012

Lovely Roma!!

Me and The Mr-to-be have just had the most amazing trip to Rome, Italy. It was a place that we both said we wanted to see together before we have children, and so booked it up ages ago, and had almost forgotten we were going...so when it was suddenly upon us we were pretty excited about seeing this new awesome city together.

And it was an awesome city! So much heritage and history, which just made every road, every building, every park just so beautiful. The architecture is stunning, and so imposing - you quite literally stand there in front of these awesome buildings thinking - how on earth were these made? how are they still standing?

My favourite sights were The Colosseo (The Colosseum), The Trevi Fountain, and just the general ruins that you happen upon everywhere you go.

The Colosseum

The Trevi Fountain

^^ Beautiful Italian buildings...^^

Italian Food - oooh yes!

So...a major highlight of the break to Rome was the absolutely amazing foods! We ate SO much - but we did walk around 25 miles in the 2.5 days we were exploring the city. I was proud of the fact that we didn't get on a single metro train or bus, and we walked our way around Rome - which I'm sure helped to counter-act the calorie intake.

The food was simply stunning - here are the things that I think the Italians do best....

- Pizza
-Pasta
-Coffee
-Bruscetta
-Ice Cream (Gelato)
-Bread
-Tirimisu
-Pana Cotta

Let me share some of our very decadent food pics with you...

***warning....these pictures will make you hungry!***

quattro fromaggio pizza & fries

pistachio and strawberry gelato

Peanut and Tirimisu Gelato (peanut was best ice cream I've EVER tasted!)

italian cakes!!!

Mount Blanc - meringue, fresh cream and chestnut paste (made to look like spaghetti)

bruscetta

caramel pana cotta

Spaghetti Carbonara

Tirimisu

cakes & coffee for breakfast - yes!

Pizza!

fillet steak, rosemary roasted potatoes, and a tomato/mozzarella/basil salad

Gelato for breakfast on last day - cherry ripple/rum 'n' raisin/chocolate/pistachio

As you can see we ate VERY VERY well - and were totally spoiled by what we were served up. We found two amazing restaurants in Rome (both recommended by the Lonely Planet guide) one was called Pomadoro in the student district, and the other called Le Tavernelle, which was more central in location. Both serving up some of the awesome food above.

We were also spoilt as we had the oldest and most famous gelato factory on the same road as our lovely hotel (InternoRoma Hotel - which I would recommend to ANYONE wanting a very reasonable, very clean and modern, friendly and just generally lovely hotel!) ... so this warranted an excessive amount of ice cream eating during our trip!

I came back worrying about what the scales might say about all the food we scoffed - and I was pleasantly surprised- no weight gain, I stayed exactly the same. Which means that the walking definitely counter-acted the calories! Phew!

What an amazing place

amazing things to see

and eat

and drink