Thursday 27 March 2014

Raspberry Curd Recipe *a midweek treat*

I'm a huge lemon curd lover and often make it from scratch at home, so when I saw the idea of making raspberry curd instead I couldn't wait to give it a go! I love the way this curd uses a lovely pink summery fruit, especially as spring is in full swing (minus the hail storm I got caught in today - not cool!)

The curd is relatively quick and easy to make - it takes about 40 minutes from beginning to end. Once made it can be stored in a sterilised jar, and once opened can be kept in the fridge for around a week.

RASPBERRY CURD
(Makes one large jar)

Ingredients

500g fresh raspberries
225g granulated sugar
57g salted butter, diced
2 large eggs, beaten

Method

1. Put the raspberries and 2 tbsps of water in a large saucepan, and bring to the boil. Simmer the raspberries with the lid on until soft (around 5 minutes).

2. Pass the raspberry mixture through a sieve into a bowl placed on top of a pan of simmering water. Ensure the bowl does not touch the water, but creates a seal with the bottom of the pan to trap the steam produced by the simmering water.

3. Add the sugar, butter and eggs. Over the lowest possible heat, gently whisk the mixture with a balloon whisk until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted. Stir with a wooden spoon and keep the mixture moving while you cook to ensure it does not stick to the bowl.  On no account must it  boil or it may curdle. If it starts to bubble, remove from the heat immediately, set the bowl in a large bowl of iced water, and stir the curd with a wooden spoon.

4. Continue to cook, stirring constantly (so as to avoid the eggs scrambling!) with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens; then turn off the heat and stir again. If you feel the curd isn't quite as thick as you want it then heat it again - but remember that it will thicker further as it cools. The curd is properly cooked once it coats the back of a spoon - after that it is up to you how thin or thick you want to make it.

5.  Once you are happy with the curd's consistency pour into sterilised jars , and label. Store in the fridge and once opened eat within a week (that won't be a problem, trust me!).

This curd is perfect spread on toast or crumpets, dolloped on top of porridge or rice pudding, spooned over ice cream, as the filling for Raspberry Meringue Pie, or if made thick enough you could smother it between two sponge cakes with fresh cream to make the ultimate Victoria Sandwich!

Soooo many delicious options….I opted for the quickest one - smothered on toast! What a lovely sweet treat for a late afternoon "I need some sugar" snack!

I'm now building up a nice collection of homemade yummies in my fridge - it is so great to have some delicious homemade comfort in a jar to hand whenever I need a food-based pick me up (i.e. always!)

What have you been baking this week?

And if you made this raspberry curd how would you eat it? My hubby doesn't like sweet things on bread, so he just goes for the "teaspoon straight out of the jar" approach! :-)