Tuesday 6 October 2015

Apricot Shortbread from Whitworths

Today I'm bring you my final recipe from my work with Whitworths on the #whitworthsbakingchallenge. A lovely simple twist on a traditional shortbread recipe, these biscuits are super quick and easy to bake, perfect for baking with children, and most importantly they taste really delicious.

The really great thing about baking shortbread is that you will usually find you already have all of the ingredients in your store cupboard, and it is such a versatile recipe you can add any flavouring you'd like. Why not try a little lemon zest, some mixed spice for a Christmassy feel, some chocolate chips or even some sultanas...the possibilities are endless.

APRICOT SHORTBREAD

Ingredients

70g Whitworths Chopped Apricots
125g unsalted butter, softened
55g caster sugar
180g plain flour
1 tsp good vanilla extract

Method

Pre heat your oven to 160℃ then lightly grease a baking tray.

Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and then add the flour, vanilla and chopped apricots to form a dough.

Roll out on a lightly floured surface. approximately 1 cm thick and cut into 12 biscuits with your favourite cutter.

Place onto a baking tray and then chill for 20 minutes in the fridge.

Bake in the centre of your oven for 16-18 minutes until a pale golden colour.

Allow to cool completely on a wire rack then eat and enjoy!

You could also try dipping the biscuits in your favourite chocolate then enjoy them once the chocolate has set.

We opted for the plain shortbread with added chopped apricot pieces and they were really delicious. The apricot pieces go jammy and chewy after baking and add a lovely sweet hit to the crunch and crumble of the buttery biscuit.

We took a bit tin of them along to a friends garden party and they were devoured by both adults and children alike!

It's been really fun teaming up with Whitworths on this series of bakes and I hope you've enjoyed the recipes I've shared.

I'm off back to the kitchen now as I have a batch of freshly baked digestive biscuits that need dipping in dark chocolate... must dash!

Happy Baking Everyone!