Monday, 25 November 2013

Courgette and Herb Risotto...Another Vegetarian *MUST MAKE*

I thought I'd share another lovely vegetarian recipe with you today...

Hubby and I are currently trying hard with calorie counting in order to shed our 'baby weight' (men put on baby weight too!!). We're both doing well; so far I have lost 2 stones 6lbs (that includes about a stone of baby/icky birth stuff), and hubby has lost 1 stone 10lbs - so it's obviously working. (Phew!)

What is helping to achieve our goals?

-sticking within our calorie goals on 'My Fitness Pal' as often as possible
-drinking plenty of water
-trying to get regular exercise
-not drinking too much alcohol
-being organised with our cooking and food shopping
-eating a few vegetarian meals each week
-eating lots of fresh food, prepared from scratch
-trying hard not to snack between meals
-controlling our portion sizes
-avoiding processed foods as much as possible

Saying that, I've managed to consume an afternoon tea, a few glasses of wine, a takeaway curry, chocolate cake and a mini Christmas pudding in the past few weeks - so I'm not THAT virtuous!

Courgette and Herb Risotto

One of our favourite veggie meals at the moment is Courgette and Herb Risotto from the Hamlyn '200 Budget Meals' all colour cookbook by Sunil Vijayakar (available for £3.52 from Amazon).

It's a great recipe which is absolutely FULL of flavour and doesn't suffer from its lack of meat at all. It takes around 30 minutes to make including time to chop everything etc, and feeds 4 hungry people!

INGREDIENTS

4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
350g risotto rice
200ml white wine
1.5 litres vegetable stock
200g baby leaf spinach
100g courgettes, diced
50g parmesan cheese
1 small handful of dill, mint and chives, roughly chopped
salt and pepper

METHOD:

Melt the butter with the oil in a saucepan, add the onions and garlic and cook for about 3 mins.

Add the rice and stir until rice is fully coated in the buttery mix.

Add the wine and cook on a high heat until all the wine has evaporated, stir constantly!

Add the hot stock a ladleful at a time, and stir constantly until each addition of stock has been throughly absorbed by the rice. Continue until you have used all the stock and the rice is creamy (around 20 minutes).

slowly adding my stock to the rice, one ladleful at a time

Stir in the chopped spinach and courgette and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan and herbs.

Season to taste and serve immediately.

T'ah D'ah!

We usually serve ours with some garlic bread, or other yummy accompaniment, although this recipe really does make 4 ample portions, so is great by itself without anything on the side (we're just fat pigs!) Hehe.

our risotto cooked this week, served with some jalapeno peppers stuffed with cream cheese on the side, yum!!

Do have a go if you fancy something super-scrummy - this risotto is true comfort food, a real winter warmer!

Happy stirring!

  1. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It is the old what goes around comes around routine.
    jogos friv gratis
    Jogos online
    jogos 4 school

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my husband and I and our children, we all have a considerable distance to travel to get to the church. From Dubai for Peter and I and 2 of our children in Australia and Northern Ireland. This means we need accommodation either near the church or the reception and often in areas of the country we are unfamiliar with.
    Jogo para menina
    360 jogos
    game io

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a wedding under one roof means the Bride and Groom can slope off to the Bridal suite after the cutting of the cake and the first dance, once the evening guests have arrived, if they want to get changed. The Bridal suite is also available for the Bride to get ready in, with hair and make up artists coming to you, or the Bride could travel from her home putting her dress on last minute to ensure it's wrinkle free. Bouquets and buttons holes can be derived to the venue, meaning less stress for the Bride trying to remember who is doing what and where everything will be.
    kizi com
    online game for kids
    free friv Games 2019

    ReplyDelete